My Application Process

Posted on February 24, 2014 by Jessica Callinan

A look into the craziness that is applying to college.



It is crazy to think that four years ago, I was applying to college. I can’t even begin to describe how fast the time has gone by and how thankful I am that I applied to Purdue. To be honest, Purdue University was one of my top choice schools but one of the last that I actually submitted an application to. I had done all my other applications on paper and sent them in, and Purdue was the only application I had to submit online. I think I thought this meant the application would be much easier, and now I realize it wasn't any different.

Fall 2011 BGR Team Leader

I also was a bit discouraged by Purdue because one of my guidance counselors told me my chances of acceptance were slim. Once I visited the campus in October and attended a football game, I knew that Purdue was for me. Every other college failed in comparison. Purdue had everything I wanted: an amazing Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering program, a beautiful campus, an awesome sports program, countless clubs and organizations, and a chance to get away from home. I wanted to go to school where I didn't know anyone so I could have the opportunity to meet as many new people as possible. Purdue was the place for me.

2011 Phi Sigma Rho Orchid Ball


While applying, I kept thinking of what made me want Purdue, and what would make Purdue want me. I kept this in mind through all the application questions and essays, and did everything I could to convince admissions that I was a match to be a Boilermaker.
Just hanging out!

When I received my acceptance email, I started crying with excitement. Purdue was the last school I had heard from, and I was the most excited to hear from them. My family had a similar reaction, and with no discussion, we all knew that I was going to be a Boilermaker in the fall.

2013-2014 Zero Gravity Flight Experiment Team


As stressful as applying to college may have been at the time, I would do it over and over again to relive my experiences at Purdue. It has been the time of my life and I have loved every minute of it, even those spent late at night finishing engineering homework. I don’t know how I’m going to say goodbye to an incredible four years in May at graduation. All I know is that Purdue is my second home, and I am proud to forever be able to call myself a Boilermaker. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering