Move More, Achieve More - Group Fitness at Purdue

Posted March 14, 2014 by Beata Strubel

 “Welcome to Round 52!” bellows a deep voice over lively music. I shuffle in place, enjoying this familiar opening to Turbo Kick which always gets me excited for the class to come. I love kicking and jabbing along to the upbeat music and connecting with the other participants in a way unlike anything else. You develop a special connection with people who have jumped and squatted and done burpee after burpee after burpee right beside you (“Give me one more!” You never realized you were capable of this much, but the instructor’s still smiling, by golly, so you keep going). Turbo Kick is one of over 70 group fitness classes (also called Group X) offered at the CoRec, one of my favorite breaks from studying. I look forward to this hour of sweat and fun after a long day of classes.

When I was in high school, a friend at Purdue told me about Group X. After hearing about this great program and learning that the classes were taught by Purdue students, I knew I wanted to be an instructor when I came to Purdue. I completed a semester training course and certifications last year, and I began teaching classes last semester.

I now teach Turbo Kick, cycling, and TRX (suspension strength training). I never dreamed I would have this exciting opportunity when I came to Purdue. Teaching group fitness classes combines my love of teaching with my love of group fitness in the best possible way. I get to work with an inspiring group of fellow instructors, and instructing group fitness classes is incredibly rewarding. I love seeing my participants become stronger and more confident over the course of the semester. I have worked with some of these participants for a full year now. While I work with them to become stronger, they help me develop as a fitness instructor and a leader as I learn how to create fun and engaging classes.  I learn so much from my participants and fellow instructors. I admire their persistence and dedication. I'm grateful to get to share my love of fitness along with these great people. You never know what new passions you will find at Purdue!


Julia, Courtenay, and me (Turbo Kick instructors) before CoRec special event – Turbo Kick Glow Party!

Janice, me, and Michelle – post Turbo Kick (Riding high on Turbo Kick endorphins :) 


Group X fit fam – Cycling instructor workout


Group X instructors – ready for the Turbo Glow Party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering