Going Greek at Purdue

Posted on April 9, 2014 by Jessica Callinan

One of the main reasons I came to Purdue was because it is a big school with lots of opportunity to try new things and reach out to new people. As a freshmen, I was eager to join as many clubs as possible and meet as many new people as I could. When I  came to college, I never expected a sorority to be an organization that I would join. Looking back now, it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made in college.

As many people that have never been exposed to Greek life, I had my hesitations based on stereotypes shown in media. However, all of these stereotypes were quickly and completely proven false. On the first day of recruitment, I was a little bit nervous that I wouldn't impress any house, but as soon as I walked into the first house I realized that I didn't have to try and impress anyone. The girls genuinely wanted to get to know me for who I was, not have me act like some expectation I thought they had. Everyone was kind and welcoming and made me feel like  no matter what house I ended up in, I would be happy.

Though the recruitment process is long, it was completely worth it. I found my house and have been absolutely in love with it ever since. Being in a sorority has shown me the power of women who support one another and want the best for each other. There is a constant support system surrounding you, which is exactly what I needed being far from home. My sisters have become my second family and I would do anything to help anyone of them. Many of the women in my sorority are girls that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet if I hadn't joined, and I am so thankful that they are part of my life now.

Reflecting back, my sisters have always been there for me, in the best of times and the worst. They have celebrated job offers with me and consoled me when exams didn't go well. These women know me better then I know myself and have made me a better person. My sorority has allowed me to gain confidence, to grow, and to emerge as a leader. The experiences that I've had through my sorority have shaped who I am today. I have been surrounded with astounding individuals that do amazing things everyday. I also know that even when I graduate all of my sisters will be there for me. 

Joining a sorority allows you to be part of something bigger then yourself. It allows you to expand your horizons, meet new people, create long lasting friendships, and grow as a person. A sorority teaches you how to be a role model, a leader, a well rounded student, a friend, and a sister. It's an experience I never imagined having, and one that I can now never imagine imagine forgetting. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering