Graduation and New Beginnings

Posted on June 9, 2014 by Kat Frangos

This is from my personal blog, "Kat's Krazy Adventures" about graduating from Purdue.  Hope you enjoy reading!


Wow, I still can't believe it.  We graduated from Purdue just two days ago.  Here I am, sitting in my apartment, watching one of my roommates slowly move out.  A lot has happened in the last week...

After our last finals, senior week began.  Full days of making quality memories with close friends, spending time outside in the spring (finally!! one heck of a winter) weather, fulfilling Purdue traditions, doing our last fountain run, going to the Cactus one last time and finally attending a toga party.  Here are some pictures from senior week:


Also during senior week, I was working on finishing the ME Senior Composite photos which took way too long, but seeing the finished product made it all worth it.

My family arrived on campus Saturday evening and we went out to dinner at IHOP.  They were staying at the very same hotel (Best Western) that my dad and I had stayed when we first visited Purdue back in the spring semester of my senior year of high school.  Our dinner choice may seem random, but it was part of a little tradition that we started from our first Purdue visit.  Every time my dad has visited me at Purdue, we've made a dinner trip to IHOP (and ordered blueberry pancakes and Nutella crepes, along with other entrees) and so it was only fitting that my family returned for one last time to the same restaurant.  Saturday night was very relaxing, after my family went to bed, a couple friends and I went to Harry's for one last drink as Purdue undergraduates.

Sunday started early.  I met the ME advisor in the ME building to drop off the composite photos for the morning senior reception.  A couple hours later I met my family and it was very fun to share the ME festivities with them, introduce them to my friends and the people in ME who have supported me throughout the last four years.  I also got to share my senior design project!  We are currently exploring the patent process with our project so I can't say too much.

After the reception and a bunch of cap and gown photos, all the seniors eventually made their way to the Armory to line up for the graduation ceremony.  All the candidates were abuzz with energy and excitement, but we still had a long time to wait until the ceremony would actually begin.  While in line, little black plastic ribbons were passed out to tie in our tassels, in remembrance of Andrew Boldt who would be receiving his bachelor's degree posthumously.  

When we finally got the signal to move, I was hit by a feeling of intense excitement.  I couldn't believe it... here we go!  We processed around the Engineering Mall, the fountain and up into Hovde, crossing the skywalk into Elliott.  I was looking around for my family as I found my seat.  Looking to my right, I saw my parents both waving their arms, my grandpa was waving his baseball cap.  Happy tears filled my eyes as the realization came over me, wow, this is it.

The ceremony was very well-done, lots of Purdue fanfare, Mitch Daniels gave the commencement speech.  The moment on stage passed so quickly.  I had heard the story of a graduate from a different ceremony who had paused on stage to take a selfie and then tripped in front of everyone.  When my name was called, I was focused on just walking across the stage without a hitch.  I was handed my degree and then shook hands with Dr. Bajaj and Dean Jamieson.  It was such a fun surprise to also receive a hug from Dr. Bajaj.  As I walked off stage, I looked in my family's direction with a big grin.  Even though I couldn't see them, I could feel them sending all their love and support my way.  

The first person I saw afterwards was Professor Jones who was ushering the graduates back to their seats.  We shook hands and I could barely put two words together.  I just gave him a huge hug.  It was fitting that he was the first person I saw after I received my degree because Professor Jones had been there since I began my Purdue ME journey.  During the spring of my freshman year, Jones came to visit my Engineering 132 lecture to talk about the Mechanical Engineering Program.  At the time, I was still trying to decide between mechanical and biomedical engineering.  Professor Jones helped me to make an informed decision and now, here I am, 4 years later graduating with my BSME and looking forward to a full-time job in the energy industry.  Here are some pictures from graduation day:


It's incredible thinking that so much time has already passed by.  Over the last 21 years I've grown from a little girl, racing my dad in our backyard, to a college graduate.  The word "graduate" doesn't even seem real.  It's hard to get into the mindset that next fall I will not be returning to Purdue as a student, but I'm very excited to visit as an alum.  There are so many changes coming up, just have to enjoy every moment.  I'm glad that I'm not starting work until early August because I have more time to slow down the upcoming transitions.  

Although lots of things are changing, one will not.  I have had so many amazing adventures that brought me to the graduation stage.  Purdue has given me incredible friends and mentors, taught me numerous different lessons about engineering and life, and helped to expand my perspective of the world.  I'm excited to join the ranks of Purdue alumni and continue on my journey.

Ever grateful, ever true.  Boiler up.  

Katherine Frangos, BSME
Purdue Graduate, Class of 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering