Welcome to Purdue!

Posted on August 19, 2014 by Beata Strubel

College is an immersive experience. Over the past few years, I have experienced countless new things and ideas. I have learned about myself and others (and some engineering, too!) I have grown as a friend and as a leader. I continue to learn what I like, what I love, and what I want to do in life. I have also learned what does not interest me and what I do not want to do. These discoveries are just as important.

My challenge to you as you come to Purdue is to stay open to all the opportunities to learn here. These extend way beyond the classroom – from extracurricular activities to research to internships, time with friends, and time with yourself.

You have an exciting year ahead. Make the most of it, and challenge yourself to try something new. Try an activity you might not have considered before. Get to know someone outside your usual friend group. Go to a sports event. Or an art exhibit. Or a dance performance. It doesn’t hurt to try. You might find a new favorite hobby or interest.

I took Modern Dance as an elective class my freshman year. Having never taken a dance class before, I did not know what to expect. I walked in on day one prepared to look like a fool. And I did. But it was fun and challenging, and I never felt judged for even a moment. This welcoming community is why I love Purdue.

I doubt I’ll ever perform on stage in NYC (though it’s fun to dream!), but I’m no longer embarrassed to dance in public. I still joke about my lack of coordination, but I’ve gained a confidence in movement that I did not have before. These are experiences I did not plan to have when I entered Purdue Engineering, but they have shaped me as a person just as much as my engineering learning. And I still attend Purdue’s Contemporary Dance performances every year.

Be open to new experiences, and you’ll find lots of non-obvious opportunities to learn. I look forward to meeting you or seeing you again this fall. Stop by the Women Engineering office to say hi! Welcome to the Boilermaker family.

Boiler up!

Beata

Purdue-bound! (Me in 2012)

BGR 2012 - First Fountain Run - You have to hit ALL the fountains!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering