When In Rome - Study Abroad - Guest Blogger Ari Divizio

Posted on October 29, 2014

 

How did you find the study abroad program?
Being 100% Italian, I had always wanted to go to Italy, and I figured study abroad was the best chance to do it. I knew I didn’t want to miss out on a full semester at Purdue, so I wanted to see my other options. When talking to my advisor, he mentioned a spring break option in Rome. Specifically, Engineering and Public Health in the Service Sector: A Rome Study Abroad Experience. I only knew a few words and phrases of Italian, but I didn’t need to know the language at all in order for me to go. I was concerned that I wouldn’t get a full study abroad experience with a trip of only 10 days, but my advisor convinced me otherwise, and he was right.
During the trip:
While in Italy, I learned about the necessity of engineers collaborating with other disciplines. As an Industrial Engineering student, we went to Rome with Nursing students which did not make sense at first. After going through the program, I now know the importance of keeping in mind public health when solving any problem in engineering, while the nursing students learned that the technical side of engineering is also important in their field. Studying abroad made me see various other perspectives that I would not see without going. We had to complete a project and presentation with a group of students who attend the University of Sapienza in Rome. The language barrier was an obstacle we had to face, but along the way the American students and Italian students learned so much about each other. Thinking globally, each place has different social norms, ways of teaching, and schooling background. While learning more and more about each other, we worked better as a team. It ended up being the perfect program from a technical, teamwork, global, and travel perspective.
If you are interested in studying abroad, follow this link!!

Here are some pictures from my trip!


Making a wish at the Trevi Fountain



Inside St. Peter's Basillica


Me outside St. Peter's in the Vatican. Did you know it is the largest church in the world?


Purdue students strike a pose on the ruins of Pompeii



My new Italian friends who we worked on a project with at the University of Sapienza in Rome


Me jumping on the Pantheon



Gelato twice a day, everyday was our motto


 Just leaning on the Colosseo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering