My IR Experience: by Abby Trusler


For many engineering students, these past couple of weeks have been a pretty crazy time. We are in the midst of IR, or Industrial Roundtable, the career fair here at Purdue. IR is aimed at engineering students, although other majors do attend. 

My First Job Fair
As a sophomore attending IR, I was extremely nervous. This was the first year I was actually hoping to score some interviews and eventually land a summer internship. It can be intimidating at first, approaching the recruiters, promoting yourself, and hoping to make an impression. As a sophomore, I have no prior engineering experience; I was worried that many employers would turn me away immediately. 

The Job Fair Experience
I approached my first booth to warm up and try out my “elevator pitch”.  The recruiter for Colgate-Palmolive and I hit it off immediately. I was surprised that all I had to do was be myself. Unexpectedly, at that booth, my first of the day, I got an interview. It was a wake up call for me. 

The more comfortable you are, the better it will go. All I had to do was relax and be my normal, outgoing self. Now, I obviously did not get an interview at every booth I approached, but overall, the day was a success. The key: be confident in who you are, the skills you possess, and what makes you the best candidate. If you embody those elements as you talk with the recruiter, you will surely make a good impression. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering