Getting Involved at Purdue




If you are looking to take the extra step in college and get involved, Purdue is the perfect place. With over 1000 student organizations, Purdue has any and every interest that you could ever imagine. At the beginning of the year during Boiler Gold Rush, the new student orientation program, there is an event called the "Be Involved Fair" where all the clubs fill the memorial mall, making it easy for new students to talk to each club about what they are about and sign up for their email list. Flyers are also frequently posted all around campus about club callouts, so if you find something interesting- go! You never know what you will get out of it. 

            There are groups centered around your major, which can be helpful for networking with recruiters and seeking advice from your peers.  Getting involved with Society of Women Engineers and the Women in Engineering Program has really made me enjoy engineering more than I would ever expect, as I was unsure that I wanted to pursue it before coming to Purdue.  As a freshman, I think that getting involved with groups in your major is really important, as it allows you to meet peers in your major as well as upperclassman that can give you advice on anything from classes, resume tips, time management, etc.  

            If you love sports as much as I do, you’ll be happy to know that Purdue has over 30 club sports, along with intramurals, fitness classes and a state-of-the-art recreational center to suit every fitness desire.   I participate in the Triathlon Club and CHAARG, and although I had never done triathlons or group exercise before coming to Purdue, I am so glad I decided to try it, as it challenges me and is a great way to relieve stress.  For those looking for more relaxed athletic leagues, intramurals are available year round in so many sports, from wallyball to flag football, so you will never be bored!

            Greek life is an another popular choice for students at Purdue.  Joining a sorority allows girls to meet other girls who share a common interest and work together to better themselves. I am involved in Greek life, and I think the thing that sticks out to me the most is the community feel, the fact that there is always someone there for you in good times or bad. Greek life also provides numerous networking, philanthropy, social and academic events to do, so you will never be bored! 
Overall, whether it be an academic, service, athletic or social or anything else, Purdue has got it! Getting involved at Purdue is a great way to meet new people and get out of your comfort zone- try new things! Getting involved at Purdue has led me to meeting great people, resources and activities that I would have never had thought I would do before college. 

To see a list of all of Purdue’s student organizations, click here.

-Allison Meyer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering