Why I'm Thankful for Purdue

It's Thanksgiving season, where everyone takes the time to sit back from the craziness of college and remind themselves what they are thankful for.  Purdue is something that I am so thankful for! From hanging out with friends to taking exams, I know that everything at Purdue is going to help us out so much in the long run and shouldn't be taken for granted.  Here's some top reasons why I'm thankful for Purdue:
1. Top-Ranked Engineering Program
Of course, academics takes the top.  The entire Purdue community is centered around academics and even more so in the College of Engineering.  As I pursue my degree in Mechanical Engineering, I realize more and more everyday how applicable my studies are to real-life careers.  Although maybe challenging at times, the College of Engineering will prepare me for anything the world has to throw at me, and I couldn't be more thankful.  
2. All of the Unique Student Organizations
Me in front of the Engineering Mall!
There are so many student organizations at Purdue that I discover a new one almost once a week! I think our unique and wide array of Student Organizations really set Purdue apart from other colleges. Student organizations really give students a "home" at Purdue, which is crucial in adjusting to college life and thriving.  Not to mention they are so much fun and help develop valuable skills, which is why I'm so thankful each and every student has at least one organization for them.
3. A "Family-Like" Community
When most people are asked their favorite part about Purdue, they are most likely going to get the response "the people."  People at Purdue really care for one another and are always looking out for each other whether they have been friends since preschool or are completely strangers.  I really love the atmosphere at Purdue because I'm not afraid to be myself - it's like family! I'm thankful for this community and all that it has taught me during my time here. 
4. World-Class Recreational Center
Onto material items... the Co-Rec is my favorite spot at Purdue! From the indoor track to wallyball to groupx classes, there is always something to do for anyone and everyone! Purdue has a world-class recreational center that offers really awesome programs and intramurals from inter-tube water polo to learning how to play sports. Beyond that, the corec is a really inspirational and motivating environment, and that's why I'm thankful for it.
5. Women in Engineering Program
The Purdue Women in Engineering Program is the first of its kind throughout the nation! WIEP offers so many things for students to be involved in from mentoring programs to outreach to events with alums.  Being involved with the Women in Engineering Program has made me such a stronger person and gave me the confidence and ability to develop so many new skills. Writing blogs like this one and being there for prospective students is something that I really enjoy doing and makes me feel good that I am making a direct difference on prospective students' lives. I'm thankful for WIEP because of all the friends I have made along with the amazing people I've met and the self-growth it has driven within me! I love being apart of it! 

Have something that you are thankful for? Let us know by tagging #PurdueWIEP on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!

Want to know more about  Purdue? Send us an email at purdue.welink@gmail.com or reach out to us on one of our social media platforms!

Happy Thanksgiving from Everyone at Purdue WIEP!

- Allison Meyer
WE Link Leadership Team

Stay Connected With WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: purdue.welink@gmail.com
Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering