Why I Love WIEP

It's Valentines Day week, when we express our love for people, things, and other parts in our life. I'd like to express my love for a program that has taught, brought and gave me so much. . . Purdue's Women in Engineering Program (WIEP)! Here some reasons why I love WIEP:

1) The Many Unique Programs 

Purdue Women in Engineering Program offers SO much to SO many people. From Access Alums to I2D2, Purdue WIEP is the hub for anyone with an interest in engineering. See the full list of programs here. They even have a wide variety of programs for prospective students, which you can see here. It's so easy to get involved and stay involved for life without getting bored, and that's why I love it. 

2) Their Mission

The mission of WIEP is to help women and girls discover their inner engineer. By provide constant programming, support and guidance, this mission isn't just words on a paper but evident in everyday life. Every single facet about WIEP is all about giving back and being that support and guidance you need in and after college. The mission of WIEP is something that drives me to succeed day in and day out and that's what makes me love it. 


3) The Amazing Opportunities

Because WIEP is the FIRST program in the nation of its kind (!!!!) it has so many alumni and opportunities for its students. Several times a month, WIEP alumni return to Access Alums to have casual discussion with students, and they sometimes accept resumes. One of my co-workers actually received an internship from an Access Alum, and I don't think such thing happens as often at other colleges. WIEP also offers scholarships, travel grants, and more to its students, allowing students to strive what they dream of and learn so much in the process. WIEP has provided so much to so many and so much to me already just in its opportunities and advice from Alums, and that's why I love it. 


4) The Inspired Innovation

WIEP is always looking for the "next big thing" now. So much has changed since its first year in 1969 and all for the better. Every semester there is some sort of new program, event or facet of WIEP that builds on its excellence. Most recently is the launch of WiECoNEXTions, a platform for alumni and students to connect. Even programs themselves experience so much growth and innovation - WE Link itself has incorporated more social media and volunteer programs in only a year! WIEP's innovation inspires me to bring bigger and better to the table and that's why I love it.


5) The Growth I Have Seen in Myself and Others

Immediately when coming to college, I knew I needed to find something to be involved in that would help me find my place.  I heard about WE Link and immediately loved the idea of giving back and I thought that they did super cool things. I then joined WE Link and immediately learned so much and my communication skills increased as well as my confidence.  Now in my second year in the LT, I am such a stronger person and have the confidence and ability to develop so many new skills and love teaching younger students such skills. Writing blogs like this one and being there for prospective students is something that I really enjoy doing and makes me feel good that I am making a direct difference.  WIEP has given me amazing friends and people that I've met and has driven self-growth within me, and I absolutely love being apart of it!

Check out WIEP's websites to learn more at purdue.edu/wiep and purdue.edu/designlife 

Why do you love WIEP? Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on social media or tag us @PurdueWIEP!

Have any questions about WIEP? Let us know by emailing purdue.welink@gmail.com.  We are here to help!


-Allison Meyer
WE Link Leadership Team

Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP! 
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @PurdueWIEP
Instagram: @PurdueWIEP
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: purdue.welink@gmail.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering