I'm Proud to Be...

Since yesterday was International Women’s day, I’m inspired to reflect on why I’m proud to be a woman studying engineering at Purdue.

  • …Motivated by Alumnae

Purdue alumnae go on to do amazing things! From Patricia Galloway, BSCE '78, who became the first female president of the American Society of Civil Engineers, to Mary Ellen Weber, BSChE ’84, who found success as a Shuttle Astronaut, women engineers from Purdue have made a tremendous impact on the world.
  • …Surrounded by Passionate People

Whether working on a group project for a class or attending a meeting for an organization, it’s clear to me that my fellow classmates are so grateful to attend Purdue, and they show that by working to go above and beyond expectations.  I respect my women classmates in engineering that don’t let their gender diminish their confidence in their abilities; they’re here because they love engineering and want to make a difference in the world.
  • …Inspiring the Next Generation of Female Engineers

I hold the belief that it’s important to lead by example.  Additionally, I know that some girls are still deterred from pursuing careers in STEM, but I believe everyone is better off when women are in STEM.  As women engineers pioneered a way for me to find engineering, I hope to be an example for future young girls so they have the confidence to succeed in engineering if they choose to pursue it.

"I hope to be an example for future young girls so they
have the confidence to succeed in engineering..."
  • …Making a Difference

By joining Purdue’s EPICS (Engineering Projects in Community Service) program, I’ve had the opportunity to work on a project that benefits a partner in the community.  I’ve been able to work on the same project for the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters, and it’s been rewarding to see how the project and its potential impact on the community has transformed.
  • …Chasing my Dreams

Most of all, I’m proud to be a woman in engineering because I want to continue using math and science while working with others to solve the world’s most important problems.  I’m grateful for all of the women that have come before me to make studying engineering more accessible to me, and my dream is to be part of the change in society’s norms so that it’s no longer surprising to see women in engineering; rather, they’re perceived as engineers that simply happen to be women.


-Brittany Allen
WE Link Leadership Team


Check out WIEP's websites to learn more at purdue.edu/wiep and purdue.edu/designlife 

Why do you love WIEP? Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on social media or tag us @PurdueWIEP!

Have any questions about WIEP? Let us know by emailing purdue.welink@gmail.com.  We are here to help!

Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP! 
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @PurdueWIEP
Instagram: @PurdueWIEP
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: purdue.welink@gmail.com






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering