Work AND Play Hard: Club Involvement

As an engineering student at Purdue University, it is very important that you establish boundaries for yourself when it comes to having fun and working. At times, it becomes easy to neglect your need for fun and social time. Assignments pile up, deadlines approach, and homework takes longer than expected. These all too common occurrences have led me to reschedule a hangout or cancel a plan, leading to more hours isolated at a desk with my head down. Clubs, however, are not things that you can continuously brush off. It is important that you attend said meetings as it is your responsibility as a member. 

More often than not, I have found that these one hour meetings have been exactly what I needed when it comes to recharging my mind. Not only do you get to get away from the stress of school work, but you also get to socialize, relax your mind, and work through a creative outlet. 

Personally, I am a member of Greek life and a buddy for Best Buddies. These two involvements have put “painting party” or “cake pop making” on my agenda. In terms of my schedule, I have prioritized these meetings as much as I have my physics homework or my computer science homework. Each time that I have gone, it has been a fantastic mental reset, one that I would not have taken without the push from my sisters or fellow club members. I believe that it is imperative to involve yourself in these fun clubs, not only for the mental break but for the social benefits it provides and the friends you will make.

On the other hand, I believe that it is important to join academic clubs to grow your resume and to make connections within your college. In terms of this type of involvement, I am a part of the Mentors and Mentees program, the Recruitment Project Committee, and the Outreach Committee, all of which are parts of the Women in Engineering Program. Here, I have gained access to information, advice, and support from other women going through the same difficulties I am. Additionally, we get to celebrate each other's victories together. Not only does this give me a sense of community and comfort, but it allows me to increase my understanding of the field that I will one day be going into. 

Like anything in life, it is important to have balance. At Purdue, this can look like several things. As discussed above, I urge you to join clubs that will help you mentally and academically. Allow yourself the opportunity to have fun, relax, and recharge, just the same as you motivate yourself to power through assignments, tests, and quizzes. 


Olivia Murchie, FYE'24

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering