A Recent Grad Looks Back

With gratitude for the people and experiences I found at Purdue, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on some of the perspectives that helped me to find joy and personal development throughout my college experience.


Brittany during her freshman year in 2016 (top) and graduating in 2020 (bottom)

Change is inevitable try to make the most of it.

I still distinctly remember the sinking feeling I had moving into my room in Shreve freshman year that things would never be the same.  While I was excited about what Purdue had to offer, I was terrified of this life-changing moment. I was going to have to make new friends; I wouldn’t be living with my family. It seemed like the end of an era, and I wasn’t ready to say goodbye.  However, time goes on whether you allow it to or not. I knew that whether I started making my home at Purdue or not, that life was changing and I needed to accept it. Remembering that moment has helped me so much with this unusual graduation and life transition. As a freshman, I didn’t know all the great people I would meet, unforgettable experiences I would have, and growth I would see in myself. So, even though I would rather not be saying goodbye to being a five minute walk from my best friends, study sessions at Greyhouse, and life as a Purdue student, I know that what comes next will have its own positive qualities that I have yet to experience.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Purdue is an amazing place to develop the skills you are already confident in. However, in my opinion, it’s just as important to take advantage of the fact that it’s a safe place to work on skills you are uncomfortable with. Now, I’m not saying that if you’re scared of heights you should find a skydiving company in the area. Do invest in things you wish you felt more confident about. For me, that was public speaking. I found advanced level communication courses that aligned with the requirements for my major and minor, and even though I didn’t look forward to some of the assignments, by the end of the courses I felt more comfortable delivering speeches in front of people. I truly believe this helped me gain confidence in interviews and networking events, so I was able to represent myself more effectively in these scenarios and find the career opportunities I was most excited about.

Friendships aren’t included on your transcript, but don’t underestimate the importance of the community you build.

This advice may be popular, but I don’t think it’s overrated. One of the nice things about making friends at Purdue is that geography and scheduling is on your side. You may be stressed because you have 3 exams one week, but your friends may be in the same position. Investing time in your friendship doesn’t have to mean building time in your schedule to spend with them, but finding things in common to maximize your time. Walk to the library together so you can both study there, or ask them to join you in your usual trip to the gym. Taking advantage of the little moments to foster a true sense of community will help add fulfillment to your experience, and then you will have people in your corner when it’s time to celebrate after you get an internship offer or you’re looking for support after you didn’t get the leadership position you were going for.


When it was time to celebrate my graduation, it wasn’t the diploma I was most excited to see. I received messages from teammates, friends, and family that truly made me grateful for the people that helped me get to Purdue, the people that helped me get through Purdue, and the people that I know are going to help me enjoy life after Purdue.

Ever grateful, ever true to say Boiler Up!

    

 Brittany Allen, Industrial Engineering 2020

WE Link Leadership Team '20


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering