Overcoming Doubts and Insecurities as Women in Engineering

Making the decision to come to Purdue wasn’t an easy one for me. I was coming from a very small high school with almost no STEM program and I had no engineering experience. Honestly, I had almost no confidence in my decision to even pursue engineering in general. At times, it felt like a decision I had made on a whim. 

Some people might relate to this, and others may not. A substantial number of my fellow engineers that I’ve talked to had at least some experiences that were similar. What I mean to say by this is that whatever you’re feeling, you aren’t alone. Whether it’s doubts regarding where you’re going, what you’re studying, or even if you can handle it, there is a whole community here who understands and has your back.

The following picture was taken after the completion of one of the hardest and most frustrating project’s I’ve ever worked on. However, while it was very stressful and tested my limits, I came out of it a much stronger person and engineer, and I am so grateful for the experience!

Still, I’d like to address some of the more common doubts/insecurities I’ve encountered, and dissuade/ease some of these feelings. I hope that it either helps you, or helps you to better understand someone around you!

Limited STEM exposure in high school

If you had limited STEM exposure in high school, you aren’t alone. Many people I have met here, including myself, didn’t come in with much previous knowledge. That is perfectly alright! All the classes work on the assumption that you might not have previous experience with the topic at hand, so they start laying the foundations at the beginning. You won’t be at a huge disadvantage if you are seeing these topics for the first time in a certain class. Keep working hard and you will do well! And if you ever feel intimidated by some classmates who seem to have more knowledge than you, try and reframe your perspective. View them as people who can help you if you need any further clarification, or as tangible proof that you’ll know just as much as them soon!

Lack of confidence in your choice to pursue an engineering major

While related to a few of the other factors on this list, lack of confidence in your major is so common in and of itself that it deserves its own mention. Whether you simply aren’t sure that you want a career in engineering, or aren’t sure in your ability to succeed in it, the first thing is just to have some faith in yourself. You are strong and talented. If for whatever reason, you feel that it might not be for you, I’d advise you to give it a little bit more time. I think you’ll find the experience more rewarding than you can currently imagine.


Being in a male dominated field

Yes, the statistics of being a woman in STEM aren’t great, as there are many more men than women in these fields. At Purdue, we do see a fair bit of this which cannot be avoided, but it helps to look at the community of women that Purdue fosters. All of the women that I’ve worked with and met in my endeavors here have been wonderful, strong, selfless, and kind people who have made sure that I never felt alone. This support system makes it easier to push through the challenges you’re facing, knowing that you have a team of people behind you rooting for your success.

Feeling overwhelmed or not good enough

There might be a few instances when you’re taking a quiz/test, doing a project, or even just listening to a rough lecture, and you think to yourself, wow, I don’t know how I can possibly do this. I know I’ve had so many of these moments, and it can be tough to get past it. However, I have absolute faith in you and your ability to persevere. You just have to take it one small step at a time, and you’ll see it get a little easier every day. You will continue to get stronger with each obstacle you overcome, and will quickly see yourself becoming someone you are incredibly proud of.
All in all, any doubts or insecurities you are currently facing are perfectly valid, but I hope you see that there are a few reasons to feel a little more sure of yourself and have more confidence in yourself, your abilities, and faith in the people around you. The network here is incredible and will help to support you in any way that you need!

Jennifer Cahillane, FYE'24

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering