A Letter to the High School Second Semester Senior

A letter to the second semester high school senior (from a Purdue Second Semester Senior):

             Senior Year at Purdue             
 
 Senior Year of High School

Dear Second Semester High School Senior,

Wow, can you believe that it has been four years since we started this phase of our lives. We were both starting our freshman year during the peak of Covid, and I think that just made this time feel like it flew so much faster. But here we are, approaching the end of this chapter, and getting ready to move onto the next. I just want to remind you of a few things as you approach graduation.

First, be proud of yourself. You have probably spent countless hours working on homework, and studying for tests, while trying to balance all your extracurricular activities and still being able to enjoy time with your friends and family. That’s a lot. People will try to say that that isn’t a big deal, we all did it, but when I look back, I can’t believe I was trying to balance all of that while at the same time still trying to get an adequate amount of sleep and self-care. So be proud.

Next, enjoy these last few moments. There is a good chance that these are people that you have grown up with, or if you’ve recently moved like I had when I was in high school, I hope that you have been able to meet people that feel like you have known them for a long time. Enjoy being able to spend time with these friends, and maybe even spend time with the people that you have always felt like were just school friends. The last semester of my senior year, even with covid cutting it short, were some of my favorite memories because of the people I got to spend it with.

Also, try not to stress too much. I know that is easier said than done. It can be hard to live in the moment when the thought of the future and so much change can sometimes feel looming there like an approaching storm. But I promise it all works out in the end, so again try to enjoy this time.

Embrace the change that is approaching. Yes, I know it’s scary, but there is so much personal growth that you are going to see in these next few years. It can be hard to leave maybe the home you grew up in or move a little farther from your best friends who have lived just down the road. But I hope that you know there are so many amazing opportunities that await you, and you are going to be able to meet so many new people to build friendships and professional relationships with. So, know that that is something to look forward to.

Make sure to take time to celebrate yourself, and soak in the moment. If you are like me at all, I sometimes felt like the graduation hype was a little silly. But when your family asks to take a lot of pictures of you in your cap and gown, and with all your friends, try your best to not roll your eyes and ask, “another one?”. They are proud of you too.

Lastly, did I mention that you should be proud of yourself? The hardest part is done, and I mean that genuinely. You have been admitted into your schools, you have gotten the grades, the scores, and have done the extracurricular activities that have gotten you to this point. Now don’t get me wrong, college classes can be difficult at times, but you are in. For me I felt like I had to compete for my spot all the time in high school, to try to be at the top, to get into the schools that I wanted to. I can’t speak for anywhere else, but here at Purdue at least, I no longer feel like I must compete against my peers. Instead, it is a collaborative environment where everyone is looking to work together and see that each other succeeds.

Of course, I hope that you all choose to come to Purdue. These have been the best four years of my life. The memories, experiences, opportunities, and most importantly friendships that I have made make this true. But, if you haven’t decided yet, I want to remind you that this is the place that you will be living and growing for about four years. Maybe a little less, and maybe a little more, but either way you will be spending a lot of time here. I have been lucky enough to be able to call Purdue home, and it truly feels like home. I encourage you that no matter what decision you make it will be a good one. You will see yourself grow and learn over these next few years, no matter what school it is. So, make sure that you are making this choice for you, and what is overall best for you. I hope that everyone gets as lucky as I have been to call your school home.

Congratulations again! The time to walk across that stage is quickly approaching. Like I’ve said, it’s both a little scary and super exciting all at the same time. I’m feeling that exact same way right now too. I am so thankful for my time at Purdue, but I am so excited for all the new Boilermakers who get to experience the place that I have been so fortunate to call home. I will forever be a Boilermaker and though I’m leaving I’m glad that it allows room to add more to the family.

Boiler Up!

Alena Megregian, CE '24

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

YouTube: Purdue Women in Engineering Program - YouTube



Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering