My Favorite Campus Resources - Academic Success and Mental Health

When I first came to Purdue, I faced a lot of fears. How would I adjust from high school classes to college courses? Would I be able to balance my physical and mental health in a new environment? Could I thrive both academically and socially? While these fears were valid and I certainly didn’t have all the answers the moment I stepped onto campus, Purdue’s numerous resources provided the support I needed to succeed. Let’s look at some of my favorite campus resources so you too can be set up for success at Purdue!


Academic Resources

Supplemental Instruction Sessions and Office Hours

While lectures cover a lot of material, I needed extra academic support for certain topics. Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions were a great opportunity to strengthen my understanding. These group study sessions, led by undergraduate students who have excelled in the course, typically accompany most First Year Engineering (FYE) classes. They focus on working through practice problems and reviewing content from recent lectures.


When I needed one-on-one help, I would attend TA or professor office hours. During these sessions, students can ask questions about lecture material and homework. I often got help with my coding assignments or had challenging practice exam questions explained. The professors at Purdue genuinely want to see you succeed and are eager to help during office hours.


Women in Engineering Tutoring

One of my favorite spots to do homework during my freshman year was at the WIE-WISP tutoring program. The Women in Engineering and Women in Science Programs offer free tutoring for 100 and 200-level math, science, and engineering courses every Sunday through Thursday on the bottom floor of Shreve residence hall. I attended these sessions not only for homework help but also to seek academic advice from upperclassman tutors, who had been in my position and taken the same classes.


Mental Health Resources

Community, Assistance and Resources for Engineering Students (CARES) Hub

The mental health and well-being of engineering students is a priority at Purdue. Created by Purdue Engineering Student Council (PESC) during the pandemic, CARES Hub is a space where engineering students can unwind, study, connect with peers, and access support for their mental health needs. This support includes on-site therapy, peer mentoring, wellness education, and community-building activities. CARES Hub is located on the first floor of the Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering (room 1261) and offers programs designed to equip students with the skills and mindset they need to thrive both academically and as future engineers.


Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS offers psychological support for Purdue students. Most services are free and include both group and individual therapy. CAPS assists students facing a range of challenges, from academic pressures to feelings of anxiety, anger, loneliness, or depression. Their support is invaluable, providing a safe space for students to seek help and prioritize their mental well-being.


France A. Cordova Recreational Sports Center (COREC)

While the COREC is primarily known as Purdue’s gym, it offers much more than just a workout space. It features hundreds of pieces of exercise equipment, a recreational pool, bouldering and climbing walls, and saunas. Additionally, there’s a light therapy and mindfulness room, along with financial and nutrition coaching. Purdue students have access to free workout classes through Group X. I love the daily sunrise yoga classes since they provide me with a relaxing start to my day!


Everyone can thrive at Purdue if they are willing to utilize the available resources. These are some of my favorite ways to maintain academic success and mental well-being, but there are many other resources on campus as well. I couldn’t feel more supported at Purdue!


Maddie French, CompE '27

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

YouTube: Purdue Women in Engineering Program - YouTube


Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue