Boiler Gold Rush - The Best Orientation Program There Ever Was

Posted on February 27, 2014 by Jessica Callinan 


It's hard to even pick a starting point when talking about Boiler Gold Rush (BGR for short). This was hands down the best experience I have ever had, and I would relive if over and over again if I had the chance. The one week that BGR spans takes you from timid college freshmen to excited and exuberant new student. I loved it so much I even went back the following summer as a Team Leader (TL). Without BGR, I would have never grown to love Purdue so quickly or made so many friends that have lasted throughout my time here. 

So what is BGR really? Beyond just an orientation program, it is a way to immerse yourself into campus as soon as you arrive. It prepares you for classes, gets you acclimated to Purdue, and helps you make friends from the start. Your TL and BGR group stay with you the whole week, showing you campus buildings, how to work the dining courts, fun places to hang out, and just general tips on navigating your time at Purdue. It is a great way to get exposure to all that is Purdue, whether it be intramural sports, clubs, Greek life, or academics. The entire week is dedicated to fun and excitement, and that is exactly what it is and more. 

As a new student moving from far away, I was apprehensive on what it would be like to make friends in college. I wasn't too worried about it, but BGR really helped make it easier. I bonded with girls on my floor quickly as well as with members of my group. Even my TL quickly became one of my closest friends in college. I still stay in touch with all of these people, and even though they may not be my best friends leaving college, they were the first college friends I had and I'll never forget how much I value them. 

The whole week was jam packed with events, info sessions, and free time with our group. We got to see a comedian one night, a hypnotist the next, have a dance in the Purdue Memorial Union, go on fountain runs, experience our first Den Pop, tour campus, hang out at the Rec Center, and just learn to love Purdue. It was amazing how comfortable I felt on this campus in just a weeks time, all thanks to BGR.

I loved BGR so much that I decided to apply to become a TL the next year. I was overjoyed when I found out that in the coming August, I would guide a group of new students just like myself through their first Purdue experience. All of spring semester I worked with another group of TL's led by a pair of Supers (a TL for TL's basically) and prepared for the most exciting week of the year.

When I moved back to Purdue, I could already feel the excitement in the air. All the TL's were back and just waiting anxiously to meet our groups. The day students arrived was amazing! It was a flashback to just a year ago when I was nervous about moving into Purdue. When I met my group, I knew they were in for the best week of their life. We bonded almost instantly, and I too stay in touch with them today. They became friends and experienced everything I did my BGR week. It was awesome to be the mentor and helping this group of young students through their first week at Purdue. 

BGR is an experience like none other, and it is something that every student should experience at least once. I was lucky enough to live through it twice, and I would do it over and over again if I could!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering