Purdue Mechanical Engineering Ambassadors

Posted March 27, 2014 by Kat Frangos

During my time at Purdue, one of my favorite organizations that I have participated in is the Purdue Mechanical Engineering Ambassadors (PMEA).  Comprised of roughly 30 ME sophomore, junior and senior undergraduate students, PMEA is responsible for giving tours to alumni and prospective students, coordinating student activities for current students, organizing outreach events for the local community, teaching the How Stuff Works class (ME 297, hands-on class highlighting the practical applications of ME) and acting as student representatives for the ME student body at official ME school events.


Spring 2014 PMEA


Flyer advertising the Spring 2014 How Stuff Works Class

PMEA is split into several committees that help accomplish all of these goals - Executive, Public Relations, Outreach, Student Activities, How Stuff Works and a new ad-hoc committee this semester, Relations and Improvement.  Through the years that I've been involved with PMEA, I have participated in the Outreach and How Stuff Works Committees, even leading the organization last fall as PMEA President.  This semester, I am leading the new Relations and Improvement Committee which focuses on identifying and implementing strategies to better connect with alumni and to help improve the ME school as a whole.

As part of PMEA, I have had lots of opportunities to develop leadership, communication and organization skills.  I have also really enjoyed being able to give back to the ME program that has provided me with so many different adventures during my time at Purdue.  With every prospective student I meet while giving tours, I always get excited and love sharing my passion for ME.  I cannot believe that my time as an undergraduate is coming to a close (graduation is almost here!!), but I know that I am leaving behind a strong legacy.  Through my work this semester in the Relations and Improvement Committee, we are almost ready to launch our new ME blog to help improve communication and optimize the feedback process throughout the undergraduate school.  Launch date is in 2 weeks!


Lots of great PMEA memories

If you have any questions, please check out the PMEA website: http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pmea05/wordpress/ or feel free to email me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering