How to Choose Your Engineering Major - Guest Blogger Bidisha Dutta

Posted on November 11, 2014 by Beata Strubel 

How do you choose your Engineering major? Do you need to know your choice before you come to Purdue?

These thoughts may be racing through your mind as you juggle the college application process, senior classes, extracurricular activities, and possibly your final year living in the same town as some of your friends. You have enough on your plate – and now you need to plan the rest of your life?!

The number of choices left me a bit overwhelmed my senior year of high school. I have good news, though. It doesn’t need to be that stressful!

WE Link is here to answer your questions, provide advice, and connect you with all the great resources Purdue has to offer. We reached out to our friends at the Purdue Center for Career Opportunities (CCO) for some expert advice on choosing a major and finding your path.

Meet the Expert:
Bidisha, CCO Ambassador, is currently a junior in Electrical Engineering. She is the president of Purdue Energy Forum and enjoys reading, trying different foods, learning about cars and watching hockey! From Edmonton, Canada, she is a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan. 
As a CCO Ambassador, she helps review Purdue students’ resumes, share CCO career services, and more! Read on to hear her advice and response to our question – How did you choose your Engineering major?

My name is Bidisha, I am currently a junior in electrical engineering. During my senior year of high school, I realized I had to choose a major soon and begin college applications. I learned that engineering was a great fit for me after
thinking what were my likes and dislikes. People say that liking math and physics is mandatory to be an engineer, which might be true in some cases since math and physics play a very important role in engineering.

After doing some research however I realized all engineers have one thing in common, they are problem solvers.

Engineering is a field filled with riddles and problems, every engineer’s goal is to find the solution for a problem or find a more efficient way to go about doing something. I realized I had always had a knack for solving problems or finding an easier way to do things!

I think the next step is much easier, when it comes to deciding what type of engineering is right for you; it’s really all about what interests you the most? What problems do you enjoy solving? From a very early age I knew I loved working with cars, so naturally I thought mechanical engineering was a good fit for me, but I also love technology and the learning about new technology, that’s why I thought electrical engineering was a good fit.

My favorite thing about engineering is  that it is such a broad major, there are tons of options within every major so choosing your specific engineering major shouldn’t be a big hassle just think of it as what interests you the most! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering