Life as a Freshmen: featuring Amber Reiff and Annie Gassner

Posted on November 12, 2014 by Ashley Devore

Recently, WE Link held a chat night for our awesome volunteers, where we got to chat with our volunteers and hear about their cool experiences.  We had some awesome girls come out, and I had the wonderful opportunity to speak to two freshmen girls in first year engineering, Amber Reiff and Annie Gassner, about their experiences so far as freshman girls in engineering.  Here are their responses below! J

WE Link: How do you like freshmen year so far?
Amber: So far, freshman year has been really great. There have been so many new experiences that were not what I would have expected but they have turned out to be great learning experiences. I have also made a lot of really good friends with girls on my floor and people in my classes.
Annie: Freshman year has been great, but very challenging. I’ve met so many awesome people that I now call my friends and, as cheesy as it sounds, I can now call Purdue my home because of these people. As for classes, they are definitely challenging, but that’s what makes Purdue an amazing school! In the end, I know I will reap the rewards of these challenges I face.

WE Link: What sort of adjustments have you had to make as a college student?
Amber: I have had to adjust my schedule to figure out at what times I need to be in class or come back to my room to study or time to socialize and also to be involved in fun activities.
Annie: The most significant adjustment I had to make as a college student was organizing my time. In high school, you have a set schedule everyday: go to school, go to extra-curriculars, go home, do your homework, and go to bed. College is a different world and a completely different schedule than I’m used to. Every day has different classes and you have to work your schedule around your course load; you aren’t told what your schedule will be. There are so many opportunities that you can take advantage of, it’s often difficult to choose just a few you want to commit your time to.

WE Link: Please tell us your thoughts on your first year engineering class (ENGR 131).
Amber: I think this class is much more heavily group oriented than I thought it would be. It has taught me how to work with others under pressure. I was used to taking a
leadership role on group projects in high school, but at Purdue I am not necessarily the best person in the group and have to trust group members instead of doing things on my own.
Annie: ENGR 131 gives great insight on the different majors within engineering. Although most people know what they want to go into when they come to Purdue, 131 helps you explore all types of engineering to make sure your choice is the right one. ENGR 131 also helps you work in teams, giving you real-world experience. I have learned that there will always be challenging team situations, but in a professional world, you have to learn how to work with them. The class gives real-world projects and it’s really cool to actually work on a project that has the potential to become a reality.

WE Link: What were some of your worries coming into college? Did you experience any, and if so how did you overcome them?
Amber: I was worried about dorm living and sharing a room with someone I did not know. My roommate was random but it ended up working out really well. We are very different and have grown up in different environments. We still get along and are great supports for each other and encourage each other to try new things. We plan on rooming together next year as well.
Annie: I was most worried about not doing well in my classes. So far, I have definitely been struggling with the material in my math and Chemistry class, but I have so many resources helping me through the struggle. Purdue has an infinite amount of supplemental learning opportunities and because I discovered these, I am improving my grades. Although I failed my first math test, that experience taught me to how to reach out and find resources for help in my classes.

WE Link: What is your favorite memory at Purdue so far?
Amber: My favorite memory is actually really simple. I was just walking to class and listening to music on my headphones while the weather was really nice. It was so nice to just look at the beautiful Purdue campus and let it sink in that I finally made it here and soak in the new freedom of college as well as the new relationships and endless possibilities.
Annie: My favorite memories are when I get to hang out with my floormates on the weekends. Living with people who have become your best friends is like one huge sleepover every night and it’s basically the best thing ever. Girls I didn’t think I would be friends with that first day are now my best friends and my future roommates for sophomore year. No matter what your worries about college may be, finding a place to fit in and making friends shouldn’t be one of them because you’ll find your best friends and make the best memories with them on the weekends and in between classes when you grab lunch at the dining courts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering