6 Ways to Know You Found YOUR University


How do you find a college that provides the “perfect fit”? The college search can be daunting, stressful, overwhelming.. It can also be exciting, inspiring, and engaging. The element of the new and unknown can be both thrilling and terrifying. In less than a year you will be living in a new place with new people and limitless opportunities ahead of you.

But how do you choose? Countless sites provide rankings in various areas, but it’s often hard to understand what they mean. How do you get a feel for a campus in a one day tour?

"Our survey clearly indicated that it wasn't so much where you go to college as much as it is how you go to college — what you extract from the campus experience. Students and their families are making a significant investment in college, and it should be done with eyes wide open."
Mitch Daniels, President 
Purdue University
After surveying more than 30,000 U.S. graduates, Gallup released findings this past year about key elements of the college experience strongly related to graduates’ lives and careers. The odds of graduates being engaged at work and thriving in their lives are significantly higher for graduates who agree with the following statements:

1. I had a mentor who encourage me to pursue my goals and dreams. From classes to campus jobs to extracurricular activities, the support at Purdue is unbelievable

2. I had at least one professor at [College] who made me excited about learning. I first interacted with a Purdue professor on a college visit tour when I was in high school. He was so enthusiastic about Purdue and about Chemical Engineering; I knew then that I wanted to spend the next four years here.

3. My professors at [College] cared about me as a person. My professors genuinely want my classmates and me to succeed – taking time both in and out of class to help us personally.

4. I had an internship or job that allowed me to apply what I was learning in the classroom. Purdue has great industrial relations. Through the career fair, I found great internship experiences each summer. To hear more about them, read here and here and here.

5. I worked on a project that took a semester or more to complete. From Global Engineering (GEARE) to Undergraduate Research to Purdue Solar Racing and more, Purdue provides countless opportunities to engage in interesting and enjoyable projects.

6. I was extremely active in extracurricular activities and organizations while attending [College]. With more than 1000 (!) student organizations, Purdue again provides opportunities to join others in all your current and soon-to-be-discovered interests!


Personally, I have experienced all of the above at Purdue. That is pretty exciting news.

The key that helped me choose Purdue was the people here – the students, the faculty, the professors, the community. From the moment I arrived on campus, I was welcomed by everyone I met. I could really visualize myself spending the next four years here. I saw the excitement in the students and their passion for what they were learning. I could tell they genuinely enjoyed their classes and meeting new students. They happily answered all of my questions.

I am now part of this Boilermaker family, and I can attest to all the great things I was told back when I was in high school. I love meeting future Boilermakers and sharing my experience. In every personal story I hear from a Boilermaker, I see a new perspective about the opportunities at Purdue.

I encourage you to consider the above results as you research colleges. Maybe you’ll find a few questions to ask students on your college visits. (Do you have a mentor who encourages your dreams? Do your professors care about you and make you excited about learning? Yes, yes, and yes.) Reach out to a student and ask away. We’d love to help you find YOUR perfect fit.

*If you’re interested in learning more, you can find the Index report here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering