PROFESSORS OF PURDUE: Haiyan Wang

Basil S. Turner Professor of Engineering, Schools of Materials Engineering and Electrical and Computer Engineering


Advice for future engineers: “Never limit your capabilities. You never know what your ultimate path will be, so don’t limit yourself. Open your eyes and look very broadly. There’s a lot of possibilities for what you can do, you never know.  You entered a very rich and difficult field.”


More about Professor Wang:


  • What are you passionate about?

    • Materials science
    • Educating young people
    • Getting people knowledgeable about what I am doing/ the things I am interested in
    • Helping students discover what excites them about their future- there are so many possibilities
  • What advice do you have for female engineers?  

    • Never limit your capabilities
    • Take advantage of your strengths
    • Be rich in your foundation of knowledge
    • Know your studies, but also have interpersonal skills
    • Compete with yourself instead of others
    • Find a mentor or role model. It can be an instructor or older student.
    • Have a plan and give yourself goals.
  • What inspired you to begin your research and start in engineering in the first place?

    • I wanted to do something directly useful to society
    • I wanted to make a direct impact on the present.
    • I became apart of Materials Engineering during my undergrad, and then I studied my specific field while I was working on my Ph.D.
    • Every subject has a fun part to it- once you love it, it will be fun
  • How do you use engineering principles for your job?

    • Communication
    • Leadership roles
    • Interpersonal skills
    • Problem solving skills
    • Always dare to challenge yourself
      • If you have a problem, always propose a solution to it.
  • What's your favorite aspect of your job?

    • I get to interact with young people
    • I like students coming in and telling me what is going on in their experiments
    • Mentoring students
      • I’ve had approximately 20 Ph.D. students over the past 11 years
  • What's your favorite memory involving engineering?

    • I visited my old advisor as a distinguished alumni.  I felt so much pride, excitement, and appreciation.
    • Knowing that I am able to pass on those same feelings and traditions is amazing.
    • It’s all about impacts on people.
For further advice and more from Professor Wang, visit: https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE/people/ptProfile?id=139178


Look out for more Professors of Purdue features to come!

- Compiled by Women in Engineering Recruitment Project Committee Members
Annaliza Canda, Bailey McConnell, Cassandra McCormack, Dani Marty, Elizabeth Chattin, Hannah McGinness

Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP!
Twitter@PurdueWIEP
Instagram@PurdueWIEP








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering