Student Spotlight: Yating Fang, IE 2018

Yating Fang, Industrial Engineering 2018

What is your favorite part about engineering?

My favorite part about engineering is all of the knowledge that there is to learn. I love challenging myself to learn new things. 

What is the best thing about Purdue and/or why?

The academic environment at Purdue is the best. The fast pace courses push me to learn
and advance in my education. The technical skills I have learned at Purdue will lead me to success. I also enjoy the large number of students (the perfect opportunity to make plenty of
friends).

Tell us about a funny memory of your time at Purdue!

I live in the Stewart co-operative house. Living in the co-op has been so fun because it is a small community that I have really grown close to. We manage the whole house by ourselves which I really like because it allows me to learn new things that I normally would not have (for example, cooking).

Why do you love Purdue?

I am originally from China and Purdue was the first place I have ever visited in the United States. The Purdue community was very welcoming. There are always lots of events happening on campus and many opportunities to get involved. I also enjoy how large the campus is.

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of the Institute of Industrial Systems Engineers (IISE). I am a small group leader in the WIEP M&M group program (Women In Engineering Mentors & Mentees). 

Fun fact about yourself?

I know 3 languages (Mandarin, English, and Cantonese).

What is your favorite class and why?

CS 159 was my favorite class I have taken at Purdue. It was the first time I was introduced to coding and computer science and I really enjoyed it. The class was challenging and I learned a lot.

What's something you wish you had known when going through the college search process?

I wish I would've known more about the cultures of each region within the United States. Being an international student, I was very unfamiliar with different areas within the US (such as East Coast, West Coast, and Midwest). I also was very unfamiliar with the difference between public schools and private schools and how that would affect my education.

What is the best advice you received for college?

I was told that classes in high school would be different than the courses I would take during college. I was also told that help with classes is not as readily available in college and that I would have to actively seek out help if I needed it. 

What advice would you give to an incoming student?

In high school there's a conception that your GPA does not matter freshmen year. In college, however, your GPA is important as it helps you eventually get a job or move on to a higher level of schooling. Remember that your GPA is calculated over the course of your four years. Just keep that in mind when you get to campus and try your hardest from the beginning. As I apply to graduate school, I wish I would've given more effort my freshmen year because I know I could have done better.  

Anything else you think prospective students should know?

Through engineering, I have realized that the best way to succeed is to build relationships with people. You are not alone, do not forget that!

Check back every Tuesday for more student spotlights!


-Compiled by Abby Trusler

Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP!
Twitter@PurdueWIEP
Instagram@PurdueWIEP
Email: purdue.welink@gmail.com
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering