Student Spotlight: Robbie Williams ME'19


Name: Robbie Williams

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Graduation Date: 2019


What is your favorite part of engineering?

I love that engineering explains how the world works! You can look at a jet and explain how it flies or how a refrigerator keeps food cold. Engineering makes me look at the world differently.

What is your favorite class you have taken and why?

I really enjoyed the basic mechanics classes (ME270 and ME274). I enjoyed how the principle of statics and dynamics can easily be seen in everyday objects and mechanisms. In addition to enjoying the topics taught in these classes, I also really liked the professors I had.

What is the best thing about Purdue?

The family! Purdue is a larger community built by a vast number of families. Whether these families are built based on shared majors, interest, religion or culture, your Purdue family will always have your back.

Tell us about a fun memory about your time at Purdue!

One of my favorite Purdue memories is actually from the summer before my freshman year. The Purdue Minority Engineering Program has a summer program called Academic Bootcamp (ABC). This program is for minority students entering STEM fields and is designed to prepare these students to be academically and professionally successful. Throughout the summer, we were given opportunities to take classes, visit engineering companies, build and race a go-kart and so much more. Though it was a lot of work, ABC provided me with lifelong friends and great memories.

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?

Currently, I am President of the Purdue Chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE). I am also a Purdue Mechanical Engineering Ambassador and an Emerging Leaders Scholar.

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?

My brother, who graduated from Purdue ChemE last year, advised me to get involved on campus. It is easy to let school and academics take over, so it is important to take time to do the things that you enjoy or are passionate about.

What is something you wish you had known when going through the college search process?

I wish I had taken advantage of more academic resources earlier on. There are so many ways to get help on campus. Make an effort to find those resources and take every opportunity to utilize them.

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?

Don't be afraid to try something new, even if it makes you uncomfortable! It's okay to fail at something because failure makes you a stronger individual.

What is a fun fact about yourself?

I studied abroad for a semester last spring! I was living in Valencia, Spain but was fortunate enough to visit 9 different countries and 23 different cities throughout the semester.


Check back every Tuesday for more student spotlights!

-Compiled by WE Link LT Abby Trusler



Stay Connected With WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep

Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering