A Farewell & Reflection from a New Alumna



When I was deciding which college to attend, I chose Purdue University not because of the strong engineering program (although that is a plus), but because it just felt like the right place for me to be. The truth is at that time I couldn’t possibly have known for sure whether or not I was making the right decision, but I haven’t regretted it a single day since then.

Unlike most students, my college career at Purdue lasted a total of 5.5 years instead of 4. This is because I participated in Purdue’s co-op program in which I worked for Kimberly-Clark Corporation for two semesters, and I also later completed another semester internship with the Walt Disney Company. While some people think it is best to graduate in 4 years, I am very happy with my unconventional path because the extra time allowed me to grow personally and gain experiences I couldn’t have possibly had otherwise. 

In addition to my fulfilling internship experiences, I also had a variety of involvements in campus organizations such as Society of Women Engineers, Boiler Gold Rush, and the Women in Engineering Program. These involvements helped me grow personally and professionally, develop leadership skills, and build a large network of peers across campus. Additionally, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Hong Kong for a semester which pushed me out of my comfort zone and make lifelong friends from all over the world.

I truly believe that it was my decision to attend Purdue University and study engineering that made all of these amazing experiences all possible. I often reflect on how my freshman self could not have possibly predicted any of the things that have occurred during my time at Purdue, but I am so incredibly grateful for all of it.

I am now excited and ready to start my next chapter by joining the Boilermaker alumni family!

Boiler up!

LilyAnn Peterson Gapinski
Industrial Engineering Class of 2018
Former WE Link Leadership Team Member

Stay Connected With WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: welink@purdue.edu




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering