A Graduate Looks Back


Reflecting upon my time at Purdue, I came up with three main takeaways to share with prospective students on why they should choose to study engineering at Purdue University.

1. The career opportunities are endless.

I know that it may sound cliché, but it is true. Throughout my time at Purdue, I had incredible internship opportunities because of the exposure I received as a Purdue engineering student. World-renowned companies recruit at Purdue, specifically looking for engineers. I had the opportunity to intern for Accenture as a Digital Consultant, for the Walt Disney Company in their Industrial Engineering Department, and for Deloitte Consulting as a Business Technology Analyst. I accepted a full time offer with Deloitte Consulting and will be moving to Chicago to begin that position. I truly believe that I would not have had these amazing opportunities if it were not for the reputation of Purdue engineering, the connections I made with Purdue Alumni, and the resources that were made available to me on campus. I am so incredibly grateful for my Purdue Engineering education because it led me to my dream job post graduation.

2. The experiences you have will be forever treasured.

Purdue offers a vast array of extracurriculars, study abroad programs, and organizations for students.  Throughout my time at Purdue, I was able to join so many programs that I was passionate about. For example, I was a member of the Purdue Ski and Snowboarding Club and went on trips out west to ski with my fellow Boilermakers. I studied abroad in Brisbane, Australia for an entire semester during my Junior year. I was able to enroll in 14 credits abroad, even taking two core engineering classes so as to not fall behind. I rushed a sorority my freshman year and was able to take on leadership positions throughout my time in Greek life. I was a member of the WE Link Leadership Team from freshman year to graduation, helping to show perspective female engineering students the wonder that Purdue has to offer. All of these involvements yielded very special memories. I will always treasure these experiences, and I am so grateful to Purdue for the opportunity to be involved in such great programs.

3. The people you meet will be lifelong friends.

My favorite part about my time at Purdue is the people I got to know. Throughout the years, I met so many different people, of different backgrounds, race, religion, etc. I became friends with fellow students that previously I would have thought I shared nothing in common. Through classes and organizations and different involvements, I had the chance to be a part of multiple friend groups, to expand my horizons and befriend people who were different than me. The friendships that were built are strong, and I know I will stay in touch with many of the people I met at Purdue.

I am so grateful for my time at Purdue University. I would not be who I am today had I chosen a different degree at a different school. I truly believe that not only did Purdue help me obtain my dream job, but that my education prepared me to be extremely successful in my career. I know that I will always remember and cherish the amazing experiences I had throughout the years. And finally, I know that the friendships I made will last a lifetime.

If you are thinking about attending Purdue and studying engineering, do it!!! It will be the best decision you have ever made, I promise.

Boiler Up!

-Abby Trusler
Purdue University Industrial Engineering ‘18
Former WE Link Leadership Team Member


Stay Connected With WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: welink@purdue.edu



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering