STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Riya Varshney, First Year Engineering

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Riya Varshney

Major: First Year Engineering
Graduation Date: 2022



What is your favorite part about Engineering?

My favorite part about engineering is working in teams to solve real world problems. I think it's very cool how applicable engineering is to everyday life!

What is your favorite class you have taken and why?

EPICS has been my favorite class since it allows us to immediately apply engineering to projects that help the community.

What is the best thing about Purdue?

I love the collaborative nature of Purdue

Tell us about a fun memory about your time at Purdue!

I really enjoyed the variety of social and informational events of BGR. It was an amazing kickstart to college life.

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?

In addition to being on an EPICS team, I am a part of Science Olympiad and am helping run a couple of the events in the competition being held in Purdue.

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?

A Purdue alum told be the summer before my first semester to be intentional. I loved this because to stand out in a large school, you have to reach out by yourself and make use of the many resources and opportunities that come with going to a large college.

What is something you wish you had known when going through the college search process?

I wish I could have known the “personalities” of the schools I applied to. While every campus has people of all kinds, I found that I got lucky in choosing Purdue, since Purdue creates an environment of support and collaboration above all else.

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?

Get involved on campus and reach out to professors and organizations! Purdue is teeming with opportunity and all it takes is an email to be a part of something you love outside of academics (or as a part of it!)

What is a fun fact about yourself?

a fun fact about myself is that, before college, I was part of an internationally award winning choir, and I plan on joining on of the several choirs here at Purdue

Anything else to share?

I appreciate the flexibility in Purdue’s first-year engineering program. It allowed me to explore the many options and gave me the opportunity to change my mind and pursue a different branch of engineering than I initially thought I would pursue.

- Compiled by Allison Meyer, WE Link LT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering