STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Skyler Harlow, FYE 2022

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Skyler Harlow

Major: First Year Engineering
Graduation Date: May 2022

What is your favorite part about Engineering?

My favorite part about engineering is the ability to create new things that could potentially help someone and also modify existing products to make them even better.

What is your favorite class you have taken and why?

My favorite class that I’ve taken so far is CGT 163, which is an introductory course to Computer Graphics Technology. In this class, I got to learn how to do 3-D modeling in the CATIA V5 software. I really enjoyed learning how to model different things, how it was different than any class that I’ve ever taken before, and it was so much fun!

What is the best thing about Purdue?

To me, the best thing about Purdue is all of the opportunities that it gives me.  For example, it has provided me with the ability to join so many amazing organizations and meet such great people from all over.

Tell us about a fun memory about your time at Purdue!

I worked at Purdue Space Day this year guiding children through different space related activities.  At the end of the day, all of the volunteers were able to meet and ask questions to a retired astronaut!

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?

On campus, I’m involved in the NASA Student Launch sub team of SEDS (Students for Exploration and Development of Space), the I2D2 program which an outreach program through the Women in Engineering department, Higher Ground Dance Company, SWE, and Women in Engineering Mentors & Mentees. I’m also a sister of Phi Sigma Rho, which is a social sorority for women in STEM.

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?

Before coming to Purdue, the best advice that I received was to not be afraid to put myself out there and meet new people and try new activities.

What is something you wish you had known when going through the college search process?

Something that I wish I would have known before deciding on which college that I would like to attend is the all of the different clubs and activities that I could be involved in. I did very little research and I have been pleasantly surprised all of the options that Purdue has!

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?

The best advice I can give to incoming engineering students would be to just be yourself when meeting new people, there are around 40,000 people here and I guarantee that you’ll find someone that you click with. Also go to Supplemental Instruction it really helps!

What is a fun fact about yourself?

I’m a vegetarian and I’ve never eaten meat!

Check back every Tuesday for more student spotlights!
- Compiled by Mili Jha, WE Link LT


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering