Why I Chose Purdue -- Shelby Hedges


Why Purdue? It’s a big question to ask anyone thinking about attending, someone currently attending, or a graduate of Purdue, and everyone’s answer is different. For some, they were attracted by Purdue’s excellent engineering programs, others were drawn in by the large, but not too large, campus with lots to offer. Purdue is a great place for anybody seeking to further their education and have a memorable and purposeful time doing it, but what sets it apart from other universities and makes it right for you?

For me, the answer wasn’t immediately clear. I grew up in a house where Purdue’s black and gold were staple colors, both of my parents had graduated from Purdue and I hardly had any idea there were other options till I went to high school. Once I discovered there were options, I wanted to put as much distance between myself and the family favorite, Purdue. The options for where you can go post-high school are almost limitless, so what does Purdue hold that others don’t? The answer for me was unclear. My initial campus visit left me confused, Purdue had more or less the same things that other universities did from a superficial viewpoint: beautiful grounds perfect for outside study sessions, great athletic teams, lots of interesting clubs, and many more.
There was no grand “aha” moment for me in high school, no messages in the clouds pointing me towards West Lafayette or fortune cookies predicting that I would find success at Purdue. I initially accepted Purdue after talking to alumni that I knew, they reiterated that Purdue has an excellent engineering program, ranked 9th in the nation, and that I would have nearly limitless opportunities with a strong network capable of supporting my goals. My confirmation that Purdue was for me came during my first month on campus. My first week was filled with uncertainty, was this really the right choice for me? At the end of August, I was able to clearly say that Purdue was where I belonged. If you’re still on the fence, let me tell you three reasons why Purdue is for you...

1. Alumni Network
As a born and raised Indiana girl, I was no stranger to meeting Purdue graduates, but I hadn’t considered how these encounters could help me as a student. One thing that stood out to me about Purdue was their emphasis on their expansive alumni network: Purdue engineers can be found almost everywhere, from the moon to Antarctica, your hometown to the opposite side of the world. Alumni are a great source of advice and can be helpful in securing a research opportunity, internship, or co-op as soon as your freshman year!

2. Learning Communities

A big part of many freshmen’s first semester is their optional involvement in a learning community, whether it be EPICS, Women in Engineering, Global Engineering, or another of one of the many other communities. Joining a learning community is a great way to meet other students, explore and expand your interests, and connect with faculty who can help you reach your goals and discover your passions. I was able to join two learning communities: Women in Engineering and Global Engineering. Both had a large impact on my first semester and have helped me to pursue what I’m passionate about.

3. Campus Environment

Purdue’s expansive campus, which showcases all four seasons of Indiana weather, has a lot of amenities: quiet study spaces, places to hang out with friends, great food, a huge Co-Rec facility, and many other things. Dark or bright, mildly or deafeningly silent, there’s many indoor study nooks, and during warmer months there’s plenty of places to soak up the sun and get a good study session in. Purdue dining also offer a great place to hangout with friends and get some good food. They’ve been ranked 14th in the nation as far as food quality. Try the smoothie bowls at 1Bowl! Purdue’s co-rec facility offers a 55-ft climbing wall, multiple pools, and many other options, it’s my favorite place to go and unwind after a day of school. Finally, with all these fun activities and more, Purdue is a safe campus. An on-campus police and fire department is here to keep you safe and is the reason Purdue is ranked 14th nationally for campus safety.

Check back on Friday for more "Why Purdue"!


- Shelby Hedges, First Year Engineering 
WE Link Recruitment Project Committee, Blog Group

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering