STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Lauren Risany




STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Lauren Risany


Major: FYE

Graduation Date: 2022








What is your favorite class you've taken and why?


EPICS lab -- Deaf Kids Code
I’m on an Engineering Projects in Community Service team working to improve communication between deaf and hearing people. Last semester I got to work on a senior design team on a pair of ASL translation gloves that will translate American Sign Language to audio using motion capture technology and an app. The people on my team were some of the most passionate, well rounded, and knowledgeable people I have ever met! They did a great job helping me learn more about the electrical and computer skills I needed to know on the project and were always excited to help. I even got the opportunity to serve as Project Manager over the 4 sub-teams working with our project partner and I was the one heading up design reviews at the end of the semester. I have learned so much about working on a team, learning through experimentation, and servant leadership through the class. It has truly been an amazing experience.

What extracurriculars do you do on campus?

-EPICS: Project Manager
-Pair Mentor-Mentee Program through Women in Engineering
-WE Link: Recruitment Project Committee
-Staying fit! (Yes! I count that as an extracurricular... stay dedicated!)

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?


Take risks when you get to school! Your success in college depends on one thing: how much you want to succeed. Take on that leadership role. Interview for that position. Stay connected with the awesome people around you.

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?

College is all about who you know! It’s amazing how many awesome people there are at Purdue and how willing they are to help you out; they truly care about your future and have amazing experiences to share with you. The people in your classes are the future CEOs, political activists, and professors of tomorrow. Take time to get to know them!

What is a fun fact about yourself?

Next semester I’m going to start taking flight lessons! I’ve always wanted to get my pilot’s license and here at Purdue I can make it happen.

Check back every Tuesday for more Student Spotlights!

-Compiled by Marisa Hughes, WE Link LT

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu

Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering