An Interview with a Woman of Color in Engineering: Christina Core






Purdue University is a big, diverse community. The best way for us to be comfortable and succeed in such an academic environment is to be comfortable with our identities and find a community which understands us. Purdue helps us accomplish that through the many organizations and clubs it offers like WIEP for women in engineering. Another notable organization is the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), a wonderful program provided by the Minority Engineering Program at Purdue. So, we interviewed Christina Core, a Women of Color in engineering and the current Vice President of NSBE to find out more about the organization. 


What is your year, major and hometown?

I am a junior in Chemical Engineering with an expected graduation date of May 2021. I am from Hudson, OH which is in the suburbs between Cleveland and Akron.

What are your career aspirations?

I am really passionate about R&D and being on the product development side of a business. So, after graduation I would like to work at a food or consumer products company, like General Mills or P&G, where I can work on developing new products or reinventing current products. I also have a few business ideas in mind that I would like to pursue so after a few years in industry I might transition over into having my own business.  

What are some of the best opportunities that you have received during your time at Purdue University?

Some of the best connections I have made on campus have been through NSBE. I was first introduced to NSBE through the Minority Engineering Program (MEP), and that’s where I found my community on campus. I was mentored by upperclassmen in NSBE, who taught me which courses to take and which professors to have. Through conferences and conventions, I meet so many amazing people who are just as ambitious and driven as I am. And it was through NSBE that I got my first internship with General Mills the summer of my Sophomore year of school. 

What is NSBE and what does the program hope to accomplish

NSBE is an organization that was founded on the idea, “to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.” This is our mission statement and what we hope to accomplish for each one of our members. NSBE opens up the doors for you to have community, connections, and personal growth. At Purdue, we want NSBE to be a place that people can go to for whatever they need and feel like they have an organization that will listen and support their needs. 

What is your role in NSBE?

I am currently the Vice President of the Purdue Chapter of NSBE. A lot of the work I do is supporting the goals of the President, but also overseeing the Mentorship Program that we provide for our members. In the next upcoming school year, I will be the President of NSBE. I am looking forward to re-establishing the family connection within NSBE and open doors to all the opportunities that NSBE and Purdue have to offer so our members can succeed on campus. 

What resources does NSBE provide for its students?

One of our larger programs is the Mentorship program which is run through the Membership Zone. We focus on pairing upperclassmen with underclassmen based on common interests and majors. The purpose of this is to provide our members with guidance and mentoring experience. We also have corporate sponsors come to our general body meetings to interact with our members and let them know about available opportunities within their companies. 

Other available opportunities are within our Programs Zone, where we have volunteer opportunities and a go-kart team that competes in the Grand Prix. In addition, our members have access to free tutoring through MEP. We do our best to have resources available that can cater to all of our members. 

How has the society helped you at Purdue as a Woman of Color in engineering in a social way?

NSBE helped me because it connected me with other students who were minorities in engineering. We could all rely on each other for guidance and help, and that’s really important in your freshman year of college. Through NSBE, I was able to find my closest group of friends who were all engineers, and even to this day, we all study together even though we aren’t in the same majors. Being a woman of color, it is vital that you have that kind of support system, people you can count on for any type of situation. It is easy to get lost in the big engineering classes, but if you allow an organization like NSBE to help you connect with people then you are more than likely to see a friendly face in those big classes. 

What advice do you have for current and prospective Purdue engineering students who are women of color?

Never limit yourself. I can tell you from experience that the first day of school will be intimidating. With Purdue being the size that it is, you will most likely have a hundred kids in your class but all it takes is a few people in each class for you to feel like you belong. If you ever see an opportunity to join an organization or club that interests you then go for it. Open yourself up to all the cultural and minority organizations that Purdue has to offer and find your community. Because eventually that community becomes your family, your support system, and your network after you graduate. 

I need you to realize that you are in engineering, you are a female, and may also be a woman of color. This puts you in a unique position and perspective, so don’t let anyone make you think that you are less than. If you have an idea or opinion then please, please, please voice it. Your voice deserves to be heard just as much as anyone.

If you ever need someone to talk to or any support at all, feel free to reach out to me personally at ccore@purdue.edu, even if it isn’t about NSBE stuff I am here to help and support you guys in any way I can.




Aikya Chirra BME ‘23

Recruitment Project Committee

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering