Why We Love WIEP

Purdue University’s Women in Engineering Program provides many opportunities for current students to connect with their peers, develop their leadership skills, and reach their full potential. We asked current students why they love Purdue’s Women in Engineering Program, and we hope their answers resonate with some of you!



“I think that the Women in Engineering Program is such a great resource! I remember getting my postcard from WIEP when I was admitted and how special it made me feel! I knew I wanted to go to Purdue, and when I got there I would be able to join a wonderful program that has allowed me to connect with other women engineers here as well as share my love for engineering and Purdue with other current and prospective students.”
- Stella Erickson, So. BME

“I love WIEP because it has introduced me to so many amazing women that have not only motivated me to strive for excellence but have also acted as mentors during my college career. I love WIEP's networking events, such as Access Alum, because it gives me an opportunity to network with big companies in a smaller setting and expand my professional network.”
- Radhika Kulkarni, FYE

“I love that the Women in Engineering Program gives so many opportunities to females in engineering. The amount of thoughtfulness in everything that the organization does is amazing. I helped write postcards for admitted students, and I loved seeing how much care goes into sending every admitted woman into the engineering college. It definitely makes a big university feel like home. WIEP also does a wonderful job reminding us why we went into engineering. With all the hard classes and intense schoolwork, it can be easy to forget my purpose at Purdue. WIEP does a wonderful job at connecting us with women in the workplace that are living their dream. It reminds that my hard work will pay off.”
- Courtney Novotny, So. CE

“I love WIEP because it helps me to feel inspired and constantly reminds me why I choose to be an engineer. The community of smart and caring young women keep me going every day, which is why I choose to give my time to WIEP and hopefully do the same for other women.”
- Tori Welker, So. IE

“I have been in the WIEP Pair Program since I came to Purdue and I loved being part of an organization that supported women excelling in engineering. It was so inspiring to come to every meeting and interact with other female engineers who are passionate about their fields and determined to make an impact on the world. I loved having a mentor my freshman year to ease my worries about the FYE curriculum, and I loved being a mentor this year to give advice to my mentee about classes, career options, and life in general. From the people I have met in WIEP and the Purdue engineering alums who have spoken at meetings, I have learned to be more confident in myself as a female engineer, more dedicated to ensuring my success in the difficult curriculum, and more enthusiastic about how awesome being an engineer and changing the world is.”
- Sonya Dervishian, So. ABE

“I really enjoy the volunteer nights! It’s a great way to feel more involved with first-year students and is also a fun way to meet other female engineers outside my discipline! I loved being able to come with my friend Maddie and write postcards to admitted students!”
- Delaney Lewis, So. CE

“WIEP has given me the chance to meet so many awesome women that I wouldn't have had the chance to meet otherwise! I've made some life-long friends through the community and am grateful for the push they give me to be the best student and person I can be.”
- Grace Filley, Jr. ABE

“I love WIEP because it's a great way to meet people with the same interests as you. As a woman in Purdue engineering, it can sometimes be overwhelming, but it's always nice to know that these girls are experiencing those exact same feelings and you can support each other.”
- Lucy Wagner, FYE

“WIEP started as a program that my roommate and I bonded over. We would go together every Monday (sometimes Tuesday) and talk to older girls about their majors. Since then it has evolved into something that I look forward to going to by myself. It was really awesome to meet other women in engineering and to see them around campus. It expanded my network of engineers and helped me finally decide on my major through the stories and insight of other women around me.”
- Sophie Mendelson, FYE

JT Sarisky, Civil Engineering '22
WE Link Leadership Team

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu

Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering