A Look Back From a Past LT: Alumna Blog


It is crazy to think that I graduated from Purdue three years ago today!  It feels like only yesterday that I graduated with my Bachelor’s in Environmental and Ecological Engineering.  In fact, I remember when I was applying to Purdue – I hardly knew anything about the school. To be truthful, I really only applied because my high school advisor suggested it and told me Purdue was good for engineering.  None of my friends knew anything about Purdue, as I am from the Bay Area in California, and questioned why I would apply to a school in the middle of nowhere.  Fun fact: Purdue was actually the very first school that I was admitted to when I was applying to college!  After visiting the campus over my spring break, I decided that Purdue was the school for me! 

As my first semester approached, I remember being really nervous to start my time at Purdue. Would I be able to succeed in the rigorous engineering classes? Could I handle being so far away from home? Would I make friends? After graduating, I can confidently say that I was able to succeed at all those things.  Purdue has the resources and tools to help you succeed in all areas of college.  Additionally, there are so many amazing opportunities that Purdue provides for its students, including career resources, amazing study abroad experiences, hundreds of student organizations, meaningful research opportunities – you name it – Purdue probably has it!  Some of the highlights of my undergraduate career were being involved in the Women in Engineering Program, being a member of the social engineering sorority Phi Sigma Rho, and studying abroad in Sweden and Greece.  I also loved the fact my major was fairly small, as I was able to form strong connections with my professors and peers. 

After graduating in 2017, I went to work for a construction engineering company called Contech Engineered Solutions.  I worked in two roles with them, which took me to Cincinnati and then to Baltimore.  I ended up moving back to California to be closer to my family, and now I work for a small consulting firm called Keish Environmental.  My company primarily provides environmental consulting services to our local transportation agency.  Currently, my main project is to assist in managing all the environmental requirements for a large transportation project that will extend the services of our local commuter rail. 

My Purdue education allowed me to feel prepared and ready to take on any situation that I encountered post-grad.  The skills I learned and the experience I had at this university left me feeling confident in the belief that I can do anything I set out to do.  Taking advantage of all that campus had to offer me gave me some of the best memories and experiences, and I will forever be grateful for my time at Purdue.  Boiler Up!

Ashley Devore, Environmental and Ecological Engineering '17

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering