Why Purdue? Part 2

With application season in full-swing, many of you might be wondering how to answer that big question: Why Purdue? To help get you started on this question, we would like to share different aspects of Purdue that either enticed us as high school seniors or make us proud to call Purdue home today. Here are some more reasons from current students as to why we chose Purdue!

Me (left) and my sister (right) in Venice Italy in Spring, 2019


As a junior in high school, I watched my sister go across the Atlantic Ocean to study abroad in Rome for 4 months. We texted every day and I got to hear the amazing places in Europe she was visiting and what it was like to live full time in a foreign country where she didn’t speak the language. My family visited her for spring break in 2019, and that was when I knew that I wanted to study abroad too. However, as I researched the study abroad programs at the schools that I was applying to at the time, I realized it was hard to do as an engineer. Most of the schools I looked at told me that I would have to do short spring, winter, or summer break trips abroad or I would have had to extend my school by another semester. Luckily, Purdue was different. The more research I did about Purdue’s study abroad programs, the more I realized that they had a plethora of semester-long study abroad programs that would still allow me to graduate within 4 years. Every engineering major had different trips and locations that intended to immerse you not only in the local cultures but also in the engineering curriculum. While it is still too soon for me to be planning my study abroad trip because I am still in the First Year Engineering program, I have my eye on Spain for the future and am grateful for the opportunity that Purdue has given me to pursue this dream. 


    -- Jenn Short


My friends and I (wearing orange snow pants) sledding down Slayter Hill last winter!

Being from Philadelphia, every college that I applied to was on the east coast with the exception of Purdue. When I was touring the different universities, I noticed a stark difference between the students at Purdue compared to everywhere else. At Purdue, everyone was extremely nice. Honestly, never in my life had I ever met such kind and caring people! It seemed like everyone on campus I passed was smiling and enjoying their life at Purdue, making it seem like such a fun place to be. Through experiencing this atmosphere, I was confident that Purdue could make me happier than any other school in the world and that I wanted to spend my next four years there.

Not only are Purdue’s students happy, but I have also found that they are extremely collaborative and generous. When considering colleges and disciplines, I knew that engineering was a competitive major where students could be hostile to others just to make the grade, but it was quite the opposite at Purdue. Within my biological engineering major, we’ve formed such a supportive environment where everyone is so willing to help others out with homework, send information out about assignments, share exam study guides, and more. I truly value how genuinely warmhearted and considerate everyone is because it has helped form a family within my major. This speaks magnitudes about the generosity and support all Boilermakers have for each other.

From my first day at Purdue, I’ve felt so welcomed into the Boilermaker family and I have truly fostered a sense of community among my friends and fellow engineering students. From the people who smile at me when walking to class to the friends I cheer with at football games, the students at Purdue make campus feel like home, and that is why I chose Purdue.

    -- Sonya Dervishian

Interested in learning more about why current Purdue female engineering students chose Purdue? Contact WIEP with the information found below!

Jenn Short (Mechanical Engineering ‘24) & Sonya Dervishian (Biological Engineering ‘22)
Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering