Why Purdue?: My College Fairytale

    

    Since I was a little girl, the college I was going to go to was the closest thing to a fairy tale I had. Upon inspection, the two hold several similarities: they happen in far away, mystical lands, the main character has a plethora of people working behind the scenes for them, they’re glorified, and everyone loves them. Obviously, one involves prince charming and singing, dancing inanimate objects; but, upon oversight of these minor details, Cinderella and higher education might as well be two pages of the same book. Like any girl looking ahead to my lifelong college fantasy, I was restless and excited. My school needed to be nothing short of perfect.

As I grew older, my wild imagination became replaced with a drive for success. College was no longer a place where I wanted to frolic around singing and dancing, it was a place to gain tools to success: academically, socially, and personally. The amount of options in front of me were daunting, and, as the first person in my family to navigate the University application and decision making process in the United States, I was going through the process virtually alone. 

The first thing I looked at, and the factor that ultimately held the greatest weight in my choice to attend a school, was the strength of the Engineering program. In my mind, I was coming to college for a degree and to gain preparedness for the workforce. It was non-negotiable for me to find a program that would make me feel confident in my skills and capabilities to navigate my future career. This left me with a handful of Big Ten Schools, and a few private schools scattered around the midwest and east coast. 

The thing that set two of these schools apart was the First Year Engineering school. As a 16 year old who didn’t know what mechanical, industrial, electrical, etcetera, engineering were, I felt as though it was silly to write them off during my application process. I wanted more time and knowledge before making a decision. I wanted to learn about the different disciplines, their workplaces, salaries, job descriptions, and other elements that could possibly draw me towards these professions. Purdue is unique in the fact that they allow and encourage this exploration. In your first year as an engineer at Purdue, you take general classes, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, and introductory Engineering courses that familiarize you with tools such as Excel, Matlab, and Python. Then, after a year of attending seminars, building tours, and speaking with older students, you are given the opportunity to make a more informed decision. This was extremely appealing to me and put Purdue on a pedestal in regard to its counterparts.

Next, I wanted an environment that would act as a springboard to the workforce. I sought out a school that had stellar research, Co-Op, and internship opportunities. Purdue has several fairs throughout the year that allow students ample opportunities to secure these spots. In fact, the US News has declared Purdue as the school with the 13th best University in this regard. Even during the COVID 19 era, when getting hired is more tough than ever before, I still know Freshmen getting internships at companies like Kimberly Clark and Proctor and Gamble. It’s impressive, to say the least.

The other factors were smaller, but equally as important. I wanted a large campus. To me, larger campuses meant more diversity, more clubs, more events, more chances to learn and grow. Further, if I realized that engineering wasn’t for me, a large campus would not limit me from switching majors. Purdue has an extensive course catalog and amazing academic advisors that are ready to help at an email’s notice. Coming from a small town where I literally could not walk to my mailbox without seeing someone I know, I was excited at the chance of meeting strangers, of a fresh start. Purdue offered that. 

Like most Engineering students, I am a type A perfectionist. My list of pros and cons could go on and on, and on. And on. Every road led me back to Purdue. Come decision day, I knew where my future home was: West Lafayette. I hope the decision is just as clear to you, dear reader. However, if you have questions, comments or want to learn more to make that decision tag us, leave a comment or follow us at our social media listed below.


Olivia Murchie, FYE'24

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering