Why I'm Grateful I Chose Purdue!

There are so many different aspects that factor into your college decision. Choosing your new home away from home can be incredibly involved, but the factor I found to truly highlight colleges was hearing directly from the students.

As the end of the year approaches, this time is great for reflection and expressing thanks. Below are some of the reasons I’m so grateful I chose to attend Purdue. I hope my experiences help give you a window into being a Purdue engineering student and provide some more context for your college decision.


Maymester study abroad in Italy!

Purdue’s First-Year Engineering Program

               Whether you know which type of engineering you want to study or if you have no clue but want to learn more about the different types, Purdue’s First-Year Engineering Program (FYE) is built for you. During your first year, you can attend information sessions from any of Purdue’s Engineering schools. Another large component of our FYE Program is teamwork; you will have the opportunity to work on a small team (of about four) for various projects. This teamwork experience starts from Day 1 and helps Purdue students stand out in many internship interviews.

 

Purdue’s Collaborative & Friendly Community

            Out of all of these amazing reasons I’m thankful for choosing Purdue, the community is my favorite. Engineering is innately based on teamwork and problem-solving. To truly reap all the benefits of an engineering education, a collaborative community is key. At Purdue, the culture is based on learning, growing, and creating together. I’m always collaborating with friends on projects, homework, and studying. From your first day at Purdue, the residence halls and living-learning communities are architecturally designed for collaboration with group workspaces, whiteboards, lounge areas, and study rooms.

 

Big Ten Sports

            Whether you are an avid watcher and follower of college sports, if you know nothing about sports, or anything in between, attending a Purdue Big Ten game is a top 10 college experience. One of my fondest memories is rushing the football field after our big upset wins over OSU in 2018 and Michigan State just a few weeks ago!

 

Bridge climb from one of my internships

Abundance of opportunities

            One great advantage of a large school is the abundance of opportunities that come with it. Three of my favorite opportunities have been studying abroad, interning, and attending conferences at Purdue. In May after my freshman year, I studied abroad through the Honors College in Italy taking two classes (DaVinci & the Art of Travel). I’ve also had the opportunity to intern over the summer from attending Purdue’s many career fairs. Finally, as a large school, Purdue hosts many conferences with presentations from leading industry professionals that you can attend as a student.  

 

Purdue Women in Engineering Program’s Mentoring & Connections

            As an out-of-state student from Philadelphia, I didn’t know anyone before I came to Purdue. By taking part in the Mentors & Mentees Program, I was paired with an upperclassman in civil engineering. It was very valuable to have someone to contact with any questions and gain insight about great civil engineering classes and professors. Another great opportunity from WIEP is Access Alum events where I have connected with several industry professionals.

 

Honors College

            Coming from a very small high school graduating class, the Honors College was a great way for me to make Purdue feel smaller. I loved taking part in the Honors College learning community and meeting friends in other majors! I also truly enjoyed combining calculus-based physics and engineering principles in the GOSS Scholars First-Year Engineering track.

 

Outside of Hampton Hall of Civil Engineering

Ranked Civil Engineering Program

            There are so many reasons why I love the civil engineering program here at Purdue that I could write an entire blog about it! But for purposes here, I’ll list a few of my favorite points. The Lyles School of Civil Engineering has 9 different concentrations, including general, that you could choose from. Although you typically select one concentration, you still take classes in the others, developing you into a very well-rounded civil engineer. In addition to the vastness of the program, Lyles also places a heavy emphasis on learning in the lab. With at least one lab every semester, we learn how to design the most sustainable, safe, and well-functioning systems and infrastructure.  


JT Sarisky, Civil Engineering '22

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering