Why I Chose the WiE Learning Community

Transitioning from high school to college can oftentimes be an exciting (and a little bit scary) experience. When it came to my personal transition, I was looking forward to going to a big school but was worried about getting lost in the crowd, as going to a school with over 40,000 students intimidated me. This led me to investigate learning communities, and as soon as I saw the Women in Engineering learning community, I knew I had found my home.



Meredith South Residence Hall, built in 2020, is the dorm where the WIEP learning community is located at. 


By living in the Women in Engineering learning community, I formed friendships with other women in engineering, many of whom live down the hall from me or within a floor of me. It’s nice being able to go out into the lounge to work on homework and seeing some of my friends in the same classes as me out there also working on the same thing as me.

Another perk for me personally when it comes to living in the Women in Engineering learning community is the amenities provided to me by Meredith South. Meredith South is equipped with tons of study spaces as well as a kitchen. Panera and Qdoba are also located on the first floor.

Outside of the dorm, many people in my learning community chose to enroll in ENGR 19400, a one-credit hour seminar style class where WIEP alums come back and speak to students about their experiences in WIEP. These speakers are extremely inspiring and have taught my classmates and myself valuable lessons as we begin our Purdue journey.

Overall, being involved in the Women in Engineering learning community has been an integral part of my college experience. I highly recommend that incoming freshmen look into joining it, as the deadline to register is April 15th. (Tip: Processing the initial deposit once the offer is accepted can take up to 48 hours, and it is not possible to register for learning communities until the deposit is processed, so plan accordingly.)

To learn more about WIEP and other learning communities offered here at Purdue, click the following link or email us with any additional questions at welink@purdue.edu.

Emily Helmuth, FYE CE

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering