Why did I choose to make Purdue my home?




It is officially the time of year when college decisions are released. All of the waiting is finally over and the ball is back in your court. As decision season approaches, I am reminiscing on that time in my life. Why did I choose Purdue? What made Purdue stand out when compared to other prospective schools? In this blog, I want to highlight a couple of the many reasons why I fell in love with Purdue University and chose to make it my home.


Purdue Engineering

When making my college decision, I prioritized my education. I wanted to choose a school that would challenge me and give me opportunities that set me up for my future. I knew that Purdue would do both of those things. Purdue Engineering is a world-renowned program. I have often heard the phrase “everyone wants Purdue engineers.” Throughout my experience at Purdue, I have found that statement to be nothing but true. During career fairs, company recruiters fight for Purdue engineers. I am currently only a sophomore and have already seen the benefits of having Purdue Engineering on my resume.

The large size of the engineering program also allows for many resources and support which would not exist at other schools. There are countless engineering labs and help rooms spread throughout campus to specifically help engineering students succeed. Additionally, the size of the engineering program allows for a large engineering student population. It is very nice to have a large variety of people who share similar interests and classes. Difficult coursework is always made easier when you have the support and understanding of your peers.


Women in Engineering Program

The presence of the Women in Engineering Program was a factor in my decision to attend Purdue. I attended a virtual information session to learn more about the Women in Engineering Program and was very impressed by the resources and community that the program offers to women engineers. From my experience on campus, the Women in Engineering Program exceeded my expectations. They offer free tutoring services, a living learning community, various personal and professional development events, and many ways to get involved. Personally, I have taken advantage of almost all of the programs/amenities that the Women in Engineering Program provides. The tutoring has helped me be successful in my classes. The learning community has allowed me to create friendships with peers. The networking and professional events have given me opportunities to connect with alumni and develop my professional repertoire. Overall, the Purdue Women in Engineering Program has provided me with countless opportunities and resources that have been integral parts of my college experience so far.


Campus

When I toured Purdue, I absolutely fell in love with the beautiful campus and the city surrounding it. After almost 2 years, this love has not faded. West Lafayette, in my opinion, is the perfect college town. During the school year, West Lafayette is an extremely safe and lively place. There is plenty to do and everything that a college student could ever need within walking distance. When I am not studying, there are countless things to do such as farmers markets, sporting events, Lafayette festivals, ice rinks, and concerts, just to name a few.


Boilermaker Community

Another aspect of Purdue that attracted me was the morale and community that comes with being a Boilermaker. I have yet to meet a current student or alum who is not filled with pride to call themselves a Boilermaker. Whether that be the excitement that surrounds athletics or the willingness of alumni to give back to current students, school pride is shown in many different ways. Some of my favorite experiences at Purdue have been talking with alumni. They frequently visit Purdue to speak about their careers. These alumni are always willing to give advice or career opportunities to current students. There is no doubt that as soon as you accept your Purdue offer letter, you join a family for life.


Sophia Jarc, Industrial Engineering

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering