From Purdue to Slovenia: My Summer in the World of Engineering


This past summer I had the incredible opportunity of doing an internship abroad. It gave me insight into what engineering looks like across the world. It was truly such a rewarding experience and opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities in engineering.

My Role as an Intern

My mentors throughout my internship at Dewesoft.


Over the summer I worked as a Project Management Intern at Dewesoft, a leading data acquisition and measurement company with headquarters in Trbovlje, Slovenia, and subsidiary locations across the globe.

My main project during my internship was Dewesoft Summer Camp, a 9-day intensive program designed for post-graduate students. These highly qualified students traveled from various countries to deepen their understanding of data acquisition and measurement technologies, compete in technical challenges, and learn from industry professionals.

I was responsible for defining the technical challenges, coordinating with an international work team, developing a project timeline, and tracking the progress of the project. Managing this project gave me firsthand experience in project management, and it allowed me to collaborate with professionals from all over Europe. This role not only improved my organizational skills but also introduced me to complex technical projects, giving me a blend of both managerial and technical experience.

How I Landed This Opportunity



This experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not only did I gain invaluable professional experience, but there was also a personal aspect to this opportunity that made it so special. I have grown up around Slovenian culture my whole life because my grandparents are from Slovenia. I spent the ten weeks building relationships with my family overseas and visiting the places where my grandparents grew up.

I found this internship through the American Slovenian Education Foundation (ASEF). This organization offers a program which connects individuals with Slovenian descent to professionals in Slovenia for a 10-week internship experience. I was fortunate enough to be chosen for this fellowship, and ASEF connected me with Dewesoft. This blend of professional development and personal discovery made my summer in Slovenia unforgettable.

Engineering Across Borders: What I Learned



Living and working in Slovenia gave me a perspective that extended far beyond engineering. One of the first things I noticed was the gender disparity in the field. While over 28% of engineering students at Purdue are women, I was one of around five women in a technical role across the entire Slovenian headquarters. When I shared about Purdue’s Women in Engineering Program, my Slovenian colleagues were amazed by the support system Purdue offers and were eager to learn more. Purdue’s Women in Engineering program is truly one of a kind!

Another challenge I faced was navigating the language barriers. Working with an international team made up of individuals from Slovenia, Italy, the Netherlands, France, Spain, and the UK, communication was not always seamless. While everyone spoke English to varying degrees, miscommunication was always a possibility. It was my job to ensure that the team remained aligned, regardless of these challenges. This experience taught me the importance of clear and effective communication, especially in a global setting.

Perhaps most importantly, I learned the immense value of networking. I made a point to connect with my colleagues on both a professional and personal level. In doing so, I built a network across the ocean that I know will be supportive in both my professional and personal endeavors. These relationships, more than anything else, are one of the most valuable takeaways from my internship.

People often say that “engineering looks different all over the world,” and, while that can be true in some ways, the core principles and ethics of engineering remain the same. No matter where you go, engineers are united by the shared goal of solving problems and improving the world around them.

How Purdue Prepared Me for This Opportunity?



Moving across the world for my first internship was daunting, but I knew that my experiences at Purdue had prepared me well. The group projects in my engineering classes equipped me with the skills to work effectively in teams and take on leadership roles when needed.

One of my favorite aspects of Purdue is its diversity. Purdue’s engineering students come from all over the world, which has given me the chance to work with people from many different backgrounds. This diversity of thought and experience was something I was able to carry with me to Dewesoft and further expand upon while working internationally.

Finally, Purdue’s Women in Engineering Program gave me the tools to assert my ideas and stand strong in a male-dominated industry. The skills and support I received through this program helped me navigate my internship abroad with confidence, ensuring that I could contribute meaningfully to every situation.

Conclusion



My summer in Slovenia was so much more than just an internship - it was an adventure in every sense. From managing international projects to reconnecting with my Slovenian heritage, this experience showed me that engineering is a universal language that transcends borders. It also reinforced the importance of diversity, collaboration, and strong communication skills in solving real-world problems. The relationships I built, both professionally and personally, will stay with me as I continue to grow in my career. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and excited to see where the world of engineering takes me next!

Sophia Jarc, IE '26

WE Link Leadership Team

 

Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program! 

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering 

Instagram: @purdue.wie 

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com 

Email: welink@purdue.edu 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue