Boiler Gold Rush: Finding Your Place at Purdue

Starting college is very exciting, but it can also be a little overwhelming. You are moving to a new place, meeting tons of new people, figuring out what and where your classes are, and maybe living on your own for the first time. Luckily, Purdue has a way to make that transition a lot easier, through Boiler Gold Rush (BGR), Purdue’s student orientation! 

This orientation is for incoming first year and transfer students. It gives students the great opportunity to explore campus, learn about traditions and resources, and start building their community before classes even start. I did BGR when I was a first year coming to Purdue, and it quickly became one of my favorite parts of college! I enjoyed it so much that I decided to come back as a BGR Team Leader, guiding a group of students through BGR and giving new students the same experiences that made Purdue feel more like home for me.


Getting Comfortable at Purdue

One of the biggest perks that BGR helped me with was simply getting comfortable on campus. During the traditions tour, students are guided across campus together and learn where important buildings are and some history behind them. As a Team leader, I also got to walk students one-on-one to their specific classes and gave them a chance to find their classes before the first day of classes, so they could feel prepared! BGR also gives students a chance to eat at almost all of the dining halls. Each day, we eat at different dining halls and also get to eat at the Purdue Memorial Union dining court along with learning about different retail options on campus that accept dining dollars for payment.

My awesome Team Leader group!

Finding Your Purdue Community

One of my favorite parts of BGR is the community it creates. When I first came to Purdue, I was so nervous about making friends in a whole new environment where I knew no one. But BGR gave me built in friends who were going through the same transition to Purdue as I was. Students spend the week together, learn the campus together, and experience their first traditions at Purdue together! 

There are also open houses that give students time to explore different resources and programs that they are interested in. Another amazing event is the B-Involved Fair where a TON of student organizations table together and talk about their club, how students can join, what they actually do in it, and help get new students involved already! There is also a Community Fair where local businesses and organizations introduce students to the West Lafayette and Lafayette community.

Last night of BGR together!

Purdue Traditions

BGR would not be complete without Purdue traditions! Students get to go to events such as the fountain run, where we run (or walk) through different Purdue fountains together. Another tradition is crossing the tracks, a tradition to connect students to the beginning of their Purdue journey. These are the kinds of things at Purdue that might seem random and just for fun at first, but they become such meaningful and amazing memories you can keep with you for life.

Group photo after the fountain run!

Crossing the tracks together!

For international students, Purdue also offers Boiler Gold Rush International (BGRi). International students arrive a few days earlier for additional time to adjust to Purdue and a whole new country. Once BGR begins, BGRi students continue their BGRi experience with the BGR groups too!


Why I Came Back to BGR

Looking back at my own BGR experience, I remember being excited, scared, and unsure what to expect for my first experiences at Purdue. BGR helped me find my way around campus, make immediate friends, learn Purdue traditions, and most importantly, made me feel like I belonged. That experience is why I decided to become a BGR Team Leader. Now I get to watch students arrive on their first day unsure of what Purdue would be like, and then by the end of the week, see them laughing together, knowing campus, and creating their own Purdue memories. Getting to be a part of that transition is one of my favorite parts of being a Team Leader.

We love BGR!

If you are an incoming first-year student or a transfer student, I highly recommend signing up for BGR/BGRi, so you can have the opportunity to explore Purdue, meet new people right away, try new things, and have an amazing first experience at Purdue! Boiler up!


Haley Self, BME '28

WE Link Leadership Team

 

Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program! 

Instagram: @purdue.wie 

Email: welink@purdue.edu 


Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Meredith South Women in Engineering Living Learning Community

My Admissions Process: Deferred, Waitlisted, Admitted

Understanding Purdue Housing