From Moving In to Making a Home: An RA’s Perspective
Moving into college can feel exciting, overwhelming, and a little scary all at once. You’re packing your things, saying goodbye to home, meeting your roommate, and wondering what the next few months will look like.
I know that feeling because I’ve experienced move-in from both sides of the door.
When I first came to Purdue, I was a resident in Meredith South. I remember what it was like to be new to campus and to experience all of the excitement and uncertainty that comes with moving away from home for the first time. As the year went on, I got to see firsthand how my RA helped make that transition easier by creating opportunities for residents to connect.
At the time, I didn’t realize how much those little things would influence me. Later, when I became an RA myself, I found myself drawing from the things I had appreciated about my own RA’s approach to building community.
RAs arrive about two weeks before residents. The first week is focused heavily on training and learning everything we need to know to be prepared for the year. We spend time learning about our responsibilities, resources available to residents, safety, community expectations, and how to support the students who will be living with us.
The second week is much more focused on getting ready for move-in and helping the process run smoothly. We help direct residents and families where they need to go, answer questions, and prepare to welcome everyone into the community.
From the resident perspective, there can be a lot happening at once. There are cars everywhere, families carrying boxes, students trying to find their rooms, roommates meeting for the first time, and people walking around campus trying to figure out where they are supposed to be.
As an RA, you get to watch all of this from a completely different perspective. You see the excitement of students arriving, but you also see the families saying goodbye and the nervousness that can come with starting something completely new.
My biggest advice is to not be afraid to ask questions. The first day can feel chaotic because everything is new, but that’s exactly why your RA and other Purdue staff are there. You don’t have to know where everything is or how everything works right away. We’re here to help make your transition to Purdue a little easier!
These meetings are about more than just going over rules. Of course, we talk about important things like community expectations, quiet hours, roommate situations, safety, and what to do if you have a problem. But it is also one of the first chances for everyone to actually meet the people they will be living around.
As an RA, I want my residents to know who I am and, just as importantly, to know that they can come to me. You don’t have to wait until something is wrong to talk to your RA.
I learned the importance of building those relationships firsthand when I became an RA halfway through the school year. Since my residents already had established routines and relationships with their previous RA, I knew that building connections would take time. I started by reaching out to residents individually and offering to meet one-on-one so we could get to know each other and talk about anything they needed from me.
That experience taught me that being an RA isn't just about being available when problems arise. It's about building relationships from the beginning so residents feel comfortable coming to you whenever they need support.
One of my favorite experiences happened when I realized that several of my residents shared my love of soccer and being outside. I organized an outdoor soccer event, and it became an opportunity for residents to spend time together over something they genuinely enjoyed.
What made the experience especially meaningful was seeing everyone together and realizing that I had helped create an environment where they could connect.
That was one of the moments when I really understood why I wanted to be an RA in the first place.
Go to the floor meeting. Say hi to the person down the hall. Attend an event, even if you don’t know anyone going. Talk to your RA.
You don’t have to become best friends with everyone on your floor, and you don’t have to immediately feel like you have found your place. Building a community takes time, but being open to opportunities to connect is a great place to start.
When I was living in Meredith South, I was the student walking through the door for the first time. I was experiencing the excitement and uncertainty of starting college and discovering what it meant to make Purdue feel like home. Now, I’m on the other side of that door, getting to welcome students who are experiencing those same feelings and hopefully make their transition a little easier. I get to help create the moments that turn a building into a community.
Move-in isn’t just about bringing boxes into a new room. It’s the beginning of creating a home away from home, meeting people who may become some of your closest friends, and finding your place at Purdue.
And sometimes, that starts with something as simple as walking outside your door and saying hello.
I know that feeling because I’ve experienced move-in from both sides of the door.
When I first came to Purdue, I was a resident in Meredith South. I remember what it was like to be new to campus and to experience all of the excitement and uncertainty that comes with moving away from home for the first time. As the year went on, I got to see firsthand how my RA helped make that transition easier by creating opportunities for residents to connect.
At the time, I didn’t realize how much those little things would influence me. Later, when I became an RA myself, I found myself drawing from the things I had appreciated about my own RA’s approach to building community.
![]() |
| WE Link Team! |
What Happens Before You Even Move In?
While move-in may feel like it begins when you pull up to campus with a car full of boxes, RAs have already been preparing for your arrival.RAs arrive about two weeks before residents. The first week is focused heavily on training and learning everything we need to know to be prepared for the year. We spend time learning about our responsibilities, resources available to residents, safety, community expectations, and how to support the students who will be living with us.
The second week is much more focused on getting ready for move-in and helping the process run smoothly. We help direct residents and families where they need to go, answer questions, and prepare to welcome everyone into the community.
From the resident perspective, there can be a lot happening at once. There are cars everywhere, families carrying boxes, students trying to find their rooms, roommates meeting for the first time, and people walking around campus trying to figure out where they are supposed to be.
As an RA, you get to watch all of this from a completely different perspective. You see the excitement of students arriving, but you also see the families saying goodbye and the nervousness that can come with starting something completely new.
My biggest advice is to not be afraid to ask questions. The first day can feel chaotic because everything is new, but that’s exactly why your RA and other Purdue staff are there. You don’t have to know where everything is or how everything works right away. We’re here to help make your transition to Purdue a little easier!
Your First Floor Meeting
One of the first opportunities you’ll have to meet your community is your RA’s welcome meeting.These meetings are about more than just going over rules. Of course, we talk about important things like community expectations, quiet hours, roommate situations, safety, and what to do if you have a problem. But it is also one of the first chances for everyone to actually meet the people they will be living around.
As an RA, I want my residents to know who I am and, just as importantly, to know that they can come to me. You don’t have to wait until something is wrong to talk to your RA.
Your RA Is More Than the Person Who Knows the Rules
One of the most important parts of being an RA is helping residents feel comfortable reaching out when they need something. Whether they have a question about Purdue, need help finding a resource, are dealing with an issue, or simply want someone to talk to, I want my residents to know that I'm there for them.I learned the importance of building those relationships firsthand when I became an RA halfway through the school year. Since my residents already had established routines and relationships with their previous RA, I knew that building connections would take time. I started by reaching out to residents individually and offering to meet one-on-one so we could get to know each other and talk about anything they needed from me.
That experience taught me that being an RA isn't just about being available when problems arise. It's about building relationships from the beginning so residents feel comfortable coming to you whenever they need support.
| My First Year Residents! |
Finding Your Community
Throughout the year, RAs host events to help residents connect with each other. These can range from floor dinners and movie nights to blanket-making and outdoor sports.One of my favorite experiences happened when I realized that several of my residents shared my love of soccer and being outside. I organized an outdoor soccer event, and it became an opportunity for residents to spend time together over something they genuinely enjoyed.
| My Outdoor Soccer Event! |
What made the experience especially meaningful was seeing everyone together and realizing that I had helped create an environment where they could connect.
That was one of the moments when I really understood why I wanted to be an RA in the first place.
My Biggest RA Tip: Show Up
If I could give one piece of advice to someone moving into Purdue housing for the first time, it would be to show up.Go to the floor meeting. Say hi to the person down the hall. Attend an event, even if you don’t know anyone going. Talk to your RA.
You don’t have to become best friends with everyone on your floor, and you don’t have to immediately feel like you have found your place. Building a community takes time, but being open to opportunities to connect is a great place to start.
From Resident to RA
Looking back, one of the most rewarding parts of being an RA is realizing how much my own experience as a resident shaped the way I approach the role.When I was living in Meredith South, I was the student walking through the door for the first time. I was experiencing the excitement and uncertainty of starting college and discovering what it meant to make Purdue feel like home. Now, I’m on the other side of that door, getting to welcome students who are experiencing those same feelings and hopefully make their transition a little easier. I get to help create the moments that turn a building into a community.
Move-in isn’t just about bringing boxes into a new room. It’s the beginning of creating a home away from home, meeting people who may become some of your closest friends, and finding your place at Purdue.
And sometimes, that starts with something as simple as walking outside your door and saying hello.
Mia Ortlieb, ME '27
WE Link Leadership Team
Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Instagram: @purdue.wie
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Email: welink@purdue.edu
Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!

Comments
Post a Comment