Transitioning to an Engineering Degree as an International Student


The decision of pursuing a college degree abroad can be tough. In an attempt to make the best choice for myself, I had initially planned to create a pros and cons list which would provide general information about transitioning to life abroad. What I later noticed, however, is that a list could never encompass all the adventures and obstacles one could possibly encounter! Hence, why I made the decision of writing about what has been to me, the biggest challenge of moving abroad.


Exactly a year ago I committed to Purdue University to study Chemical Engineering. My greatest fear as I stepped onto the plane was the reality check that, from now on, I could possibly experience the constant feeling of intimidation, as I was an international woman going into a field predominantly studied by men. Choosing to commit to Purdue University was a leap of faith that I took into hoping that it would be as diverse and as inclusive as it promised me to be, and I do not regret doing so! While I cannot promise never experiencing the feeling of intimidation, I have gathered a few tips of the mindset you should have when choosing engineering, especially if that means moving abroad!

As soon as you begin your university career, I encourage you to find clubs and programs that you identify with, as it helps you feel more integrated in the community. I highly suggest getting involved within the Women in Engineering Program (WIEP)! This program is filled with a diverse student body that has one common goal, encouraging and supporting women who dream of pursuing an engineering degree. All the members are extremely supportive of one another, which is why incoming students should take the opportunity of getting involved with the program. Joining a club or program is the perfect way for you to feel comfortable enough to challenge yourself and seek discomfort while having the support from others.

Be confident in your skills! There is a possibility that you will eventually take a class where, whenever you look around, you will mostly see men. Do not feel intimidated by it! Be proud of your seat, as you have worked just as hard as everybody else to be there. You deserve it! Use the fact that you are part of a minority as a fuel to success. Having this mindset will help you realize how much stronger you are, and how hard work does pay off in the long term.

The expression fuel to success is something I learned a few years ago and has since helped me thrive. Constantly have in mind your goals, what motivates you, and your purpose. Having a plan will help you achieve unimaginable things. One of my long-term goals, for example, is to positively impact the environment I find myself in. I want to work in a company where people notice the difference I make, and where my input would be hard to substitute. This goal is one of my fuels to success, as it reminds me why I have to constantly put an effort into everything that I am doing.

Hopefully with these tips, it will make you feel more comfortable in pursuing an engineering degree. It definitely helped me gain the confidence to try new things in university and express my ideas on the programs I am a part of. One last reminder is to always remember that independently of how intimidating pursuing an engineering career can be, stand strong and remember your long term goals! Boiler up!


If you have questions, comments, or want to find more about transitioning to Purdue, tag us, leave a comment, or follow us!

Mariana Araujo, Chemical Engineering '23
Recruitment Project Committee

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu

Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!




Comments

  1. Great and inspiring article! Liked the long-term goals mindset. Keep it up Mariana! Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering