The Purdue Gameday Atmosphere


    Throughout my life, I’ve had the opportunity to attend multiple college football games. They’ve ranged from tight matchups to complete blowouts and everything in between! For me, no matter the score, there’s always one thing I remember about a game: the atmosphere of the campus. Although I may be a bit biased, I say that the vibes present on Purdue’s campus during a game day are unlike any other. 


    As we approach the halfway point in the college football season, many critical factors come into play for a team. Injuries or lack of motivation can be setbacks, but the rallying cry of the fans can be the big determination in whether a team wins or loses a game! The Purdue student section does it like no other. Cheering, rallying behind the team, and providing our Boilermakers with the necessary support to make that next big play. Though I’m not a football player, I’m sure that stepping onto the field Ross-Ade and hearing the roar of the fans is quite enough to pump you up!

    Even before the game, campus has an electric feel that’s hard to replicate anywhere else! One way I can attest to this is earlier this year for the Penn State game, I saw fans wandering around campus and taking in the sights while I was outside for my 8:30 A.M. lab! If that’s not dedication to brave the early morning chills and stick it out for the Boilermakers, I don’t know what is! In the hours preceding the game, the time when Ross-Ade slowly starts to fill as the clock to gametime slowly ticks down to zero, campus comes to life with the joy and excitement of fans everywhere! Even if you’re unable to be on campus, the energy of Boilermakers across the country can be felt by everyone.

    After the game, once Purdue has secured us a victory, I can say with great confidence that the good vibes only continue upward. Nothing feels better than enjoying a refreshed and reenergized campus immediately following a victory. No matter if the time is just past midnight or the evening is only beginning, the indomitable Boilermaker spirit persists onward. We look forward to the next game and winning against whoever may be in our path (hint, it comes from our Spoilermaker attitude!).

    As a member of the All-American Marching Band, I get to experience gameday a bit differently than the average student does. We have practice before the game, then perform our Thrill on the Hill concert at Slayter Center. Next comes one of my favorite parts of the day: the march from Slayter to Ross-Ade. As fans line the streets to watch us perform, we play and sing our fight song, Hail Purdue. Everyone enjoys singing and clapping along while we march, and seeing the joy on passerby’s faces is yet another feeling that’s hard to beat!

    In addition to that special part of the march to Ross-Ade, I also enjoy the first steps we as a band take into the stadium. Although it’s early before the start of the game, the packed student section always excitedly welcomes us onto the field. The roar of the Ross-Ade brigade is exactly what all members of the band need to keep pushing the final steps into the stadium! Then, when we march our pregame show, everyone cheers and claps along to everything we do. Yet another burst of energy! Although the job of a bandsman is hard work, the energy provided by the student section and the public as a whole is exactly what we need to keep pushing further! And not only that, it helps elevate the stadium atmosphere to even further levels!

    I could probably go on and talk all day about how much I love Purdue football. If you would’ve asked me a few years ago if I would enjoy any sport this much, I would most certainly think you to be crazy! However, due to the Purdue energy and atmosphere at any gameday, I’ve found myself becoming quite the diehard fan! Other colleges best lookout - nothing beats the Boilermaker spirit present at all gamedays. 

Maggie Breyne, CE '25

Recruitment Project Committee / Blog Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering