The Best Study Spots at Purdue


With finals quickly approaching, finding the perfect study space is an essential for any college student. Here are a few of our Recruitment Project Committee blog team’s favorite study spaces on campus!


Mullins Reading Room, Wilmeth Active Learning Center

The Mullins Reading Room, located on the second floor of Wilmeth Active Learning Center (WALC) is hands-down one of my favorite study spots. It is so beautiful there with marvelous views, like the iconic bell tower. The Reading Room is completely silent, and is a great place when you need to really focus. There is a mix of hardwood tables to sit at with outlets and desk lights, in addition to comfy chairs, many of which are located facing the windows and the wonderful views of campus. My favorite part of the Reading Room is that it is just one floor above my favorite cafe on campus, Au Bon Pain, so I can grab my go-to strawberry-banana smoothie before I hit the books.

Honors College

Living in Honors South, I often spend my evening doing homework in one of the three lounges on my floor. These spaces provide a great place to work with others and get out of your dorm room while not having to even leave your floor. Even if you’re not a resident of the Honors College, there are still many places to study within the building that are open to everyone. The first floor of both Honors North and South are open to the public until 11 p.m. Honors South has a luscious lobby, with couches, chairs, and tables, perfect for group work or individual study time. South is also the home to the STEAM lab, which, when not in use by a class or event, is a great place to go to use white boards or work with your peers. If you travel over to Honors North, you can get some quiet study time in the elegant Honors Hall (sometimes referred to as the Harry Potter Room). This gorgeous room tends to be a good location to go for all of your studying needs, whether it’s deep focus time or group work.

Humanities, Social Sciences, and Education Library

When I was wandering around campus one time my freshman year, I stumbled into the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Education Library, or HSSE for short, and it quickly became my go-to study spot. The library has multiple nooks and crannies for you to put your stuff down and get to work in. The first floor houses a more open study area, with lots of tables for you to get to work with your friends (in a quiet manner, of course). The next two levels feature these bigger tables for a wider study space, but also house more secluded study areas for those who need to block out their surroundings when trying to focus. At first, I found it difficult to step away from the comfort of my dorm room and find a dedicated study spot. It was easy to stay inside and not make the walk from Meredith South to this library. However, after realizing how much more I could accomplish if I found a dedicated study spot, HSSE became my number one destination. Its close proximity to the south side of campus also made it easy for me to swing by in between classes for a quick homework break. I look forward to using HSSE for my upcoming finals.

Hampton Hall

As a civil engineering student, I’ve become quite familiar with the walls of Hampton Hall. Although its many corridors and classrooms may seem overwhelming at first, I’ve discovered a few good study spots in this building. My first stop is usually Wood Commons. This area is quite open, with lots of natural light pouring through, so you don’t feel too closed off while studying. There are some larger tables which can make for good group study sessions as well! I’ve stopped by here a number of times to relax before heading off to my next class. A more secret spot is a lounge on the first floor, equipped with long tables and vending machines. If you like to keep yourself stocked with sweets and treats while working, this area is perfect. My final study destination, when I’m in need of technological assistance, is one of Hampton’s computer labs. As someone who owns a Macbook, oftentimes in class we will need to use software that my computer is unable to download. I’ve also started to use this spot to study as it’s nice to work with multiple screens at once. As I said before, Hampton Hall has many secluded study spots that are great to take a break at or get to working.

Krach Leadership Center

If you’re looking for both atmosphere and a quiet place to study where you can concentrate well, go to Krach Leadership Center. I love the big windows here that look out to Third Street and Martin Jischke Drive. The views are pleasant and there is really good lighting. There are big tables that make well for studying alone or with a few other people. There is also higher seating facing the windows. I also like studying here because as a study break, I can head next door to Starbucks and get some coffee for fuel.

First Floor of Winifred Parker Hall

I really enjoy studying here for a lot of reasons. There are a lot of different types of seating, such as both high and low tables and comfy booths. You can also study at the Starbucks here and sit at their tables or comfy chairs where you can lean back. I like hearing the music in the background as well. This floor is almost always busy with lots of people, but there are always plenty of people studying amid the noisy atmosphere. I also like to be in the presence of others studying to help me stay motivated to keep doing so. If you’re hungry or need some caffeine, you have Starbucks right there though you can also go to Third Street Market on the same floor. There are large windows as well, making for good lighting. Choose the first floor of Winifred Parker if you’re looking for comfort and motivation.


Although finals can seem scary and overwhelming, with the perfect study spot and right mindset they can be a lot less intimidating. Good luck boilers!



Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering