Ever Grateful Ever True, Why I'm Thankful I Chose Purdue!


As my second to last semester as a Purdue undergraduate student nears its end, I have begun to reminisce about all the good times I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing during my time on campus. It’s exciting to think about graduation and what it means for my future, but it’s also bittersweet to think of all the moments I’ll have to leave behind as a college student. Here are some of the major reasons why I’m so thankful to have chosen Purdue University as my home away from home!


First-Year Engineering Program

One of the pivotal elements that shaped my journey at Purdue was the First-Year Engineering Program. If it wasn’t for the First-Year Engineering Program at Purdue, I would not be in the discipline that I am about to graduate in. Prior to starting my undergraduate career, I had no idea there were so many different types of disciplines within engineering. This program provided me with the opportunity to explore various engineering disciplines and solidify my career path. The First-Year Engineering Program at Purdue offers the ability to attend information sessions for any of Purdue’s engineering disciplines. It also teaches you the foundations of being a good engineer, and prepares you for the coursework in later classes.

Women in Engineering Program

Beyond my academic achievements, my involvements in the Women in Engineering Program significantly enhanced my Purdue experience. Being a part of the Women in Engineering Program has truly made my time at Purdue the best it can be, and I love being part of such an amazing community that will always care for me. From being in the Women in Engineering Learning Community my freshman year to speaking in a student panel at the Exploring Engineering event my senior year, the Women in Engineering Program has provided me with opportunities that I will never forget. The Mentees and Mentors Program allowed me to be a mentee and learn about how to navigate engineering during my beginning years of my undergraduate degree, and then later allow me to become a mentor and give advice to people who had the same questions as I did. The Access Alum events allowed me to connect with industry professionals who were women in engineering and network with others who had similar interests. The Women in Engineering Program has been a pillar of support throughout my college experience, and I am so grateful to be a part of a community that genuinely cares for its members.

Constant Opportunities

I can say that even though I’m in my final year of my undergraduate degree, the opportunities that are presented here at Purdue are still just as prevalent as they were during my first year. I have always been able to join new clubs on campus that interest me, and I have no difficulty finding events to attend. Purdue’s dedication to provide as much as possible for their students makes me feel supported, and I know that I can find help in all areas of my life whether it be for academic or recreational purposes. Academically, there is always the opportunity to go to office hours or supplemental instruction sessions if I need extra help on homework. Recreationally, there are so many GroupX fitness classes- ranging from cycling classes to restorative yoga- at the campus gym.

Biological Engineering Program

Not only is Purdue historically ranked in the top 10 universities nationwide, but the Agricultural and Biological Engineering undergraduate program has been in the top 2 in the U.S News & World Report undergraduate program rankings for 13 consecutive years. I am truly grateful to be a part of such an amazing college that is dedicated to making sure their students are prepared for success. My classes in biological engineering make me feel prepared to go into industry, and I am confident that the skills I learned can be utilized in my future career.

The Purdue Community and Spirit

The first thing you will notice about Purdue when you come to campus for the first time is the Purdue spirit. There is such a strong sense of community here, and the energy that students bring to sporting events is unlike any other college. When I went to my first Purdue basketball game, I was blown away by the unwavering support that Purdue students show for our team. The culture at Purdue is built on the idea of lifting each other up and growing together, and Purdue engineers also have the ability to strengthen their teamwork and collaboration skills through their classes and group projects. No matter the occasion, the Boilermaker spirit shines bright and the sense of community is persistent.

Athulya Nair, ABE '24

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

YouTube: Purdue Women in Engineering Program - YouTube


Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering