Joining a STEM Sorority



If you are like me, you probably would’ve never imagined yourself joining a sorority in college. Based on all the movies I’ve watched about sorority life and rumors I’ve heard about hazing, I was always fearful of being a part of Greek life, until Phi Sigma Rho.
 





Phi Sigma Rho is a STEM sorority on campus located in the acres near Slater hill. Phi Rho is one of the newest sororities on campus, as it was founded back in 1984 at Purdue. All Greek life on campus has a strong no hazing rule, and Phi Rho has stayed true to that time and time again. Like all sororities, you need to go through a rushing process to be given a bid to become a candidate for that specific semester. Currently, I am in my candidacy process for this spring semester and will be an activated member in April! If you are interested in the rushing process, more can be found on the Purdue Panhellenic website.

Here are a few reasons why I fell in love with Phi Rho and the main reasons why I was so eager to join their sisterhood.

1. It felt like home. 

During the recruitment process, you meet with so many of the active sisters allowing you to get a feel of how the sorority operates. From day one at “Meet the Sisters,” everyone was so genuine and caring. Everyone in Greek life will tell you that you will know if it feels right and that is the only way to tell if you should join or not. For me it felt right and I knew there would be no other house on campus that I could see myself in.

2. So many girls share the same major as me. 

Since engineering is such a strenuous major, I was nervous coming in that I wouldn’t meet a lot of people to help me out with coursework and that I would fall behind. In my pledge class alone, there are so many girls taking the same classes as me and we have been able to set up study groups and encourage each other during weeks of exams. It’s really nice to know that I always have someone who is struggling with the same class I’m struggling with since we can work out problems together.

3. You will meet your best friends. 

I have met so many amazing girls through Phi Rho. Everyone is so unique in their own way and there are so many ways to grow closer to the girls through activities the house hosts weekly.



Lastly, you can join at any point in your college career. A nice thing about Phi Rho is that if at any point you feel overwhelmed with your courses and don’t think you can make the commitment that specific semester, you can become inactive for that time period. Everyone is extremely understanding since all the girls in the house are in STEM majors and understand how hard it can get. If you’d like to learn more about Phi Rho, you can check out their website and instagram!

Eirene Kapsis, FYE '25

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering