If You Can Dream It You Can Do It: Disney College Program

I am incredibly grateful to attend a school that has allowed me to customize and make the best of my college experience. Coming into college, I knew I wanted to do a Disney College Program (DCP) and work at NASA, but I had no idea how to make them happen. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to fit both in with my engineering curriculum. Now, standing on the other side, I can confidently say the support here at Purdue has allowed me to pursue both of those dreams and opened more doors than I could have ever imagined. Whether you want to take a semester off for a DCP, internship/co-op, travel, or something else, working with your Purdue advisors will allow you flexibility to customize your path to graduation.

What is the Disney College Program

I found out about the Disney College Program in middle school, and I loved watching vlogs of people doing one. A DCP is an opportunity to live in Orlando, Florida, and work in one of a variety of roles at Walt Disney World. It is important to note this is not a professional internship, rather it is a chance to be a cast member in attractions, food and beverage, children’s activities, merchandise, or something else at a Disney Park or resort.


Disney College Program Planning and Application Process

When I chose engineering, I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to leave for a semester to do a Disney College Program. I knew I didn’t want to extend my graduation date, so I worked with my advisors and mentors early on to adjust my plan of study. Throughout my freshman year, I loaded up on classes and focused on my studies while keeping this dream in my back pocket. Once I completed the Transition to Major process (T2M) into mechanical engineering, I worked with my major specific advisor to plan my classes. I applied for the DCP in the Fall of my junior year, and I ended up doing the Disney College Program that Spring semester. Practically, I made this work by taking a few online summer classes and relying on some general elective credit from high school. These online summer classes allowed me flexibility to get ahead in my core curriculum and technical electives while living out one of my dreams. 

Disney College Program Experience

I truly had the time of my life doing the Disney College Program. I worked at Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios as an attractions cast member. I had roommates who will now be friends for life, I met so many amazing people from all over the world, and I developed so many skills that I believe will make me a better person and engineer. With free theme park admission, a generic day for me on the DCP could be waking up and spending the morning in EPCOT with my roommates, then taking the Skyliner to Hollywood Studios where I could change into costume and get ready for work that evening. The job taught me a lot about real-time problem solving with grace under pressure, and this is so important as an engineer looking to work in real time spaceflight operations. While I missed the on-campus experience, I am grateful Purdue allowed me the opportunity to live and work in Disney World without setting back my other college and career plans.


Summer Internship: Johnson Space Center

I include this section only to say that you can have multiple passions, and it is possible to pursue them all throughout your college career especially here at Purdue. While you can’t always do everything all at once, it is possible to customize your experience and love what you do. The summer after working at Walt Disney World, I interned for a company called Barrios Technology. I got to work on consumables management systems for the International Space Station, and I absolutely loved this experience. I believe Purdue well prepared me for both the DCP and this internship, and I know my time at Purdue has had a huge influence on who I am today.

No matter what your passions are and how they may or may not interact, I encourage you to work with mentors and advisors here at Purdue to make them happen. If you have any questions, please reach out, WiE are here to help.

Ella Richardson, ME '25

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

YouTube: Purdue Women in Engineering Program - YouTube


Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue