From West Lafayette to Rome: Purdue Study Abroad

Purdue has a variety of study abroad program opportunities, and when I heard about the Maymester Machine Learning course in Rome, Italy, I knew it was a perfect fit for me.  I wanted to stay on campus during my semesters at Purdue, but I still hoped to have an extended international experience while being a student. Deciding to participate in the Maymester was exciting, but I had never been out of the country before, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was grateful to find out that throughout the program, Purdue has systems in place to alleviate stress and worries and maximize the quality of the experience.



·       Before I left…

o   Our class met on campus during the spring semester, so we learned about the academic expectations for the course as well as logistical information for traveling and cultural tips so that we could focus on Intercultural Development while in Italy.
o   I was able to plan a weekend trip to Florence and Cinque Terre with one of the girls going on the trip, who I met through a fellow WE Link team member! (This is just one example of how getting involved on campus helps make Purdue feel smaller.)


·       When in Rome…

o   A Purdue professor taught the class, but the program was also held through CEA, Cultural Experiences Abroad, and they figured out our housing, group activities, and other assistance with adjusting to a new country.
o   We stayed in apartments and had class in the Prati district, which is a remarkably beautiful and dynamic residential area in Rome, where we enjoyed our proximity to Piazza Cavour, Vatican City, and many cafes and restaurants.
o   The activities scheduled for us included a pizza and gelato crawl, a bike ride tour of the Catacombs, a pasta making class, and more.  (I truly enjoy Earhart Dining Court’s pasta bar, but it can’t compete with pasta that’s made in Italy.)



·       Back to the USA…

o   After the trip, I came home with new friends, so many pictures, and memories to last a lifetime. 
o   I gained experience and knowledge of Machine Learning, which is becoming an increasingly relevant and interesting topic.
o   Once I was home, I packed up and moved into a new apartment to start my summer internship.  The Maymester schedule allowed me to get the best of both worlds: I could spend a few weeks studying abroad and gain more industrial experience through an internship.



Purdue’s study abroad office provides a diverse group of programs so you can find something for a week or a semester, in Australia or Spain.  With Purdue Study Abroad, you can get the valuable global experience it takes to improve cross-cultural teamwork skills that are important in engineering.

-WE Link LT Brittany


Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @PurdueWIEP
Instagram: @PurdueWIEP




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering