A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Jenn and her friends after the Thankgiving dinner

Food is an integral part of our day. For some people, the very first thing they do in the morning is eat breakfast. I personally prefer my cup of coffee to a stack of waffles. Nonetheless, food has the power to pick up a bad mood, enhance a good mood, and even ease the stress you are feeling about exams and homework. The awareness I have of how food impacts my mood is recently found since I started college in August. at home I usually came home to my mom or dad making something delicious in the crockpot. Suddenly I arrive at college and there are so many options that it can get overwhelming at times to figure out what to eat. Navigating the dining options at college did not seem like something I should have been worried about, yet it was something that took a month of experimenting to perfect. 

The key is knowing where to go and what is consistent. I decided to help you out and give you some insight into how I view each dining option on campus.

* Disclaimer: These opinions are based solely on my personal experiences combined with a few opinions from my friends, as seen in the commentary about certain options. I am also gluten-free for the most part so many of these opinions come from friends.* 

Dining Courts 

Ford

The Ford trademark food is pizza, this pizza is a new addition this semester but has made Ford a new favorite for students. The pizza combined with its location on campus makes it a great food option when you are on campus, especially while working at Armstrong. I personally had the best sweet potato fries of my life eating at Ford, they were so good that I will walk the extra distance to Ford from my dorm when they have said fries.

Windsor

I would equate Windsor to that old friend from elementary school that you still chose to be your partner when you have a class together in high school. As a gluten-free eater, I cannot personally attest to the comfort of Windsor pasta, but I do know it is a go-to for all of my friends. The pasta is always good and they have burrito bowls every day which is one of my personal favorites.

Earhart

The first word that comes to mind when I think of Earhart Dining Court is consistent, it is very nice because you always know Earhart will have something you’ll like. The Earhart classic meal is mac and cheese and chicken tenders, campus goes crazy for this meal I swear. Earhart is my go-to on weekends because of their hamburgers and french fries.

Hillenbrand

HillyB is one of my personal favorite dining courts, I have nothing bad to say about it. The quesadillas are always yummy and there are always lots of different options to choose from. Saturday brunch is amazing, the chocolate chip pancakes especially are capable of getting even the most tired student out of bed on weekends. A new addition this semester was also a nacho bar. At least once a week, I will drop everything to go get nacho bar lunch… I once joined a Zoom on my phone for a class while in line for nachos.

Wiley

Wiley is my personal go-to dining court during the week, their food is always predictably good. New this semester, the make your own salad bar is a very nice option to have when you want to be healthy and stack a salad full of yummy goodness.

Retail Food Options

Chick-fil-A

There is nothing to be said here, the food… always good, the line… always long, but the wait… never more than 10 minutes. For a meal swipe, you get a sandwich or 8 piece nuggets, french fries, and a drink which gives you a decent amount of food. Chick-fil-A is the epitome of efficiency and deliciousness even at peak dining hours. 

Jersey Mikes

Delicious sandwiches every time with lots of options for a meal swipe. You can get a hot or cold sandwich, chips or a cookie, and a drink for your swipe. For my gluten-free friends, there is gluten-free bread, and they will make sure to prevent cross-contamination with the normal bread.

Qdoba

Am I still mad that Qdoba stopped letting me get the nachos for a meal swipe? Yes, yes I am; however, there are still plenty of options, bowl, burrito, salad, and quesadillas on Fridays, for a meal swipe all are both filling and delicious. With a brownie and a drink on the side, Qdoba is a favorite meal option for every student on campus. This is also a great vegetarian option due to the veggie bowls and the impossible meat options. 

Panera

Personally, Panera is the best deal on campus, but not because of the food… but because of the coffee. As someone who drinks approximately 2-4 cups of coffee a day, having a Panera in the bottom of my dorm is a godsend especially with the subscription. If you drink coffee and are on campus, look for the free coffee subscription promotions, I have had the subscription since July and only paid $10. Other than coffee, Panera is a steady contender with soups, salad, sandwiches, and mac and cheese, aka comfort food to the max. The line does get long but the wait time usually is not outrageous and you’ll be happily eating your baguette in less than 20 minutes.

I hope this gives a little insight into how dining has changed based on COVID and that the variety of food on campus may be different than it has been in years passed but there are still plenty of options to eat well! I
f you have questions, comments or want to find more about Purdue's dining options, tag us, leave a comment, or follow us!

Jenn Short, ME'24

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering