Adjusting from School to Co-op

With all the opportunities that Purdue offers to gain real world experience such as co-op and internships, you might be wondering what kind of adjustments you have to make when transitioning from work to school and vice versa. As a two semester co-op last year who hadn’t been on Purdue campus for all of 2017, coming back to school this past spring semester was a surprisingly smooth transition.

Besides having good friends to catch up with, I began to notice that both my work ethic and drive had improved. Being a co-op and seeing what opportunities my engineering degree would provide for me in the near future excited me and gave me the drive to do the best I could in the spring semester. Additionally, getting in the habit of working from 8-5 each day and staying focused for long periods of time helped me plan out my days to be more efficient at school. These two main attributes helped me have a successful semester back on campus.

Fast-forward to the current summer semester, and I am now back at Zimmer Biomet as Development Engineering co-op on the Biologics Team. Changing teams has provided a new set of products to learn about to keep me challenged and has been very exciting. One of the perks of coming back to the same company was that the adjustment period of getting back into the work mode happened relatively quickly. Returning for a third rotation has helped me enhance not only my professional soft skills but also technical skills associated with working in the medical device industry. Additionally, I’ve been able to build a network of coworkers to keep in touch with in my future career.

The end of summer is drawing near and I am looking forward to being back on campus and getting back into a school routine. Boiler Up!

-WE Link LT Marisa


Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @PurdueWIEP
Instagram: @PurdueWIEP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering